Loose Anti Roll bar link to lower arm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

Loose Anti Roll bar link to lower arm

Post by adamskibx »

Started to change the subframe on my BX but gave up due to bolts I couldnt undo. I cant remeber why I did this but I seemed to feel the need to undo the bolt that links the anti roll bar linkage to the lower arm (I know you dont need to do this but as I was going to use something for the new subframe). Basically the bolt turned a lot then something inside the linkage started to turn instead of the nut to get it off so now it wont do up either. Now my car makes clunking sounds whenever the anti roll bar is stressed one way or the other over uneven roads. Im not too concerned about it as long as its not a safety issue-could it possibly come off and cause the handling to become dangerous? Still need the car for a month or so. Cheers, Adam
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

It will rattle and drive you mad but should not become dangerous, you do need to tighten it, I suggest removing the roadwheel and obtaining a long iron bar/scaffold tube and an accomplice, place the end of the iron bar in a suitable place to lever the ARB link towards the rear of the car HARD and tighten the nut quickly.
Stewart
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks for that Stewart I shall try that.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

another option is to have the car on full hight and with a long 16mm socket and bar tighten it with wieght on as that should stop the nut from moving! i had to do that to mine on many an occasion!
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks people. I sort of used a combination of those methods- Had to fix it as Vannys mate bought it and I didnt want to sell it with ssuch an annoying rattle. Jacked it up a bit on max suspension, removed front left wheel, lowred to normal drive height so that right wheel had weight on it, causing the antiroll bar to be stressed a bit.Turned the bolt, same thing happened so I hammered the link in and then it did up straigt away. Cheers.