BX gearbox - correct oil volume?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

BX gearbox - correct oil volume?

Post by czenda »

Hi, I have (possibly) BE1 gearbox in my 88 1.6 BX. It is not equipped with draining, checking and filling openings. The only way to change the gearbox oil is to drain the oil completely via opening on the differential, then it can only be filled with the gearbox oil through reverse switch opening.
My "research" brought up three values of the volume of oil needed for the gearbox (pls remember that as there is no checking hole on the gearbox, there is also no way to check whether the volume inside is correct).
They are 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 liters.
Which one is correct and what happens if I overfill (say by pouring in 2.2 instead of 2.0 l)?
Thanx.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I keep hearing about these BX boxes with no fill hole and I keep looking at them and finding them.
It is the plug on the right hand side of the gearbox where it slightly protrudes from the rest of the gearbox and if you can find it and remove it and then refill from there, you'll find it will take somewhere near 2 litres.
If in doubt go slightly under as an amount slightly below what is recommended won't cause much problems but if the box has a bit of age and a substantial mileage, it could be that too much in there could see a seal leak oil onto the clutch.
Alan S
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Just to be on the safe side - does the right-hand side refer to the side closer to the engine or the one closer to the left wheel?
I tried my best, but I only found factory-blinded holes where I would expect filling and draining plugs. Plus, the "tin cup" on the end of the gearbox, closest to the left wheel, has a bulge where I would expect checking plug, but again - it is only a bulge, with no hole.
Pretty confusing, isn't it?
Anyway, I can't go wrong with 2.0 l, can I?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

The Haynes book says 2 litres.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

On that "tin cup" on the wheel end of the gearbox are a load of bolt heads. One is larger than the rest (19mm). This is your filler and level plug. Fill the box with oil until it drains back out of the hole. Wait until oil stops coming out of the filler hole, and the level is correct. Obviously the car must be on level ground to do this.
It was only on very early BE gearboxes (1982-1984 ish) that there was no level plug. There was a filler though, on the front face of the box. By 1985 model years this had been deleted, and the filler/level plug in the end was used.
Hope this helps.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

You might find it easier to fill the box through the reversing light switch hole - it needs an extension tube on the oil bottle, but I find it easier than squirting the oil into the same hole which it's supposed to come out of when full!
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

How do you know if it's over-full then? the frothing action within this gearbox is quite severe, and if it is over full, you will force gear oil out of the input shaft seal, and contaminate the clutch. Big nasty job.
Plus, don't you have to remove a whole load of stuff from above the gearbox to get to the reversing lamp switch? Surely just taking a wheel off is easier?