ZX Gearboxes?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DarkendViper

ZX Gearboxes?

Post by DarkendViper »

Hi all,
I've got a 2.oi 8v ZX. I was talking to someone and they said that they 16v has better ratios for acceleration? Does anyone know if this is true?
IF so could someone post the actual ratios of them.
Many thanks.
Ste
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Dont know but the rough max mph in each gear thinking back to mine were something like 35, 58, 85, 110, 137 so bit high geared really but then you would be on 14" wheels not 15" I guess. You want a 6 speed box as thats geared to 137 as well for same wheels but more gears in between :)
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

Thanks for that. In 2nd i can get 65 indicated and 3rd is about 93ish. don't know about 4th and 5th top speed.
So from them figures my gearbox would be better for 0-60 due to not needing the extra change?
Thanks again.
Ste
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Looks as though the box is much the same then, allowing for speedo error on the optimistic side and tacho tolerances. Looks like the same box to me. Acceleration is directly related to coefficient of friction. Try your 0-60 with different tyre pressures, throw away the super low profiles and put in something with a sidewall then check the dampers are up to scratch! More traction will always give better acceleration and it is cheaper than a six speed box. (which only means that you've got no torque!)
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

No sidewall's, like that. The tyres i'm running are 185/60/14 Yokohoma's. They made a big difference to the driving of te car. Grips a lot better now.
I need two rear dampers and hopefully will be putting these on at the weekend.
Oh well the quest for more speed continues. Maybe need to lookout for a kent cam or piper. Any one got any ideas on how to make it go faster. And stripping the interior out is not an option :)
It's getting a S/S exhaust and decat this weekend as well so hopefully that will give a bit more grunt.
Ste
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I wouldnt bother doing anything with your gearbox due to the amount of money required. A decat pipe will help a bit although you will need to put the cat back for the mot or find a friendly mot person. Keep a look out on ebay for a cam, that engine was used in 406's and that as well. 0-60 is only a figure, what you want is mid range power for general driving.
I see that you have a 1.9 as well, how do the compare as the 1.9 had more bhp and was lighter as it had the ally engine whereas the 2.0 has less power and is heavier as its iron although it has more torque
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

The difference between the two isn't much. The 2.0i feels to have more mid range torque and seems to get up to speed faster. It also accelerates quicker from 80+.
The 1.9i has plenty of tuning available and I looked into that. Unfortunately I had to buy the 2.0i after a transit decided to take aliking to my front end. Result was new bumper, radiator, bonnet, crossmember and few other minor bits. I got them but the 2.0i just feels more solid. Think that's because it's a 3dr.
The 1.9i had FSH with only 41k on the clock. Was a shame. Still got it sat at the bac of the house, but have decided to scrap it after taking any useful bits that I can sell and use my self.
Didn't know that the 2.0i 8v was used in the 406. I thought they had the 16v unit. I've been looking on ebay for cams and there's a nice head for a 205 gti with big valves and other bits done.
Ste
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Well im sure they had them in 406. Anyway will that head fit the 205? You may find that the water ways etc are totally different on the 2.0 to the 1.9 and so wont line up and work at all. If youre thinking of swapping heads I would suggest moving the entire old 1.9i engine over to your 2.0i shell and then putting a decent head on it. At the end of the day its a far lighter engine.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

No I wasn't planning on changing heads over. I like the 2.0i for the extra torque and sounds pretty good at 4-5k rpm. There's only about 50kg difference between the engines.
I know the waterways don't line but the heads are slight different sizes as well so nothing else lines up.
I was thinking of trying to find an 2.oi 8v turbo engine from the 406 and drop that in :)
Thanks for the help.
Ste
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

50kg yes but its over the front wheels which will effect the handling a bit.
the 8v turbo, thats more common, fitted to 406, xantia and the xm I believe. Only 150bhp though but can be tuned up a bit. Better one would be the ally 1.9 16v which ive seen in a couple of zx's, 160bhp but prices of those are going up now, looking at £350 min for the engine and wiring
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I noticed the 1.9 16v. Been keeping an eye on ebay and the 405 mi16 are going for silly prices for the engines.
I know that the bhp was a little low on the turbo but something about a turbo zx just appeals to me :)
Ste