ZX - Noisy Transmission

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

ZX - Noisy Transmission

Post by sooty »

OK Since my last post about Transmission problems, I've replaced all the bearings on the Drive shafts (wheel and intermediate bearings).
But this bearing noise is still there, so it points to the Gearbox. The noise is speed related and no matter whether you are in gear or neutral (coasting) and it stays at the same pitch whether you power on or off. The oil has been changed, with no signs of metal colouring in the old oil.
But I'm not still 100% sure its the box.
Could it be still a faulty wheel bearing???
If it should be the Gearbox, whats the difference between a BE3 thats fitted to most 1.9td and a ME5K used in some of the larger PSA vehicles with a 1.9td.
[:(] [;)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As the noise is independent on gears selected, engine pulling, or car coasting - then it's got to be final drive related.
It could very well be the differential unit itself.
You have replaced BOTH sides wheelbearings ?
It's wellknown that any bearing noise could boom thru the chassis all kinds of ways - making you think it's Fr RHS - while it really is the Re LHS - wheel bearing.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I dont want to sound daft, but its not a rear wheel bearing winding you up and making you think its the gearbox?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Jack the car up and turn the wheels by hand. Check bushes and brakes. Check CV joints and gearbox oil.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

The both front wheel bearings (L/H and R/H) have been renewed also the intermediate bearing on the R/H drive shaft.
The gearbox oil has been renewed as said earlier with no signs of metal.
The noise is definitely from the front, as its getting that bad I can feel it through the steering wheel. But Strangely I can't feel it through the clutch pedal or the gearlever.
So I think as suggested I will jack the car onto stands and recheck the first bearing I did by removing the hub from the drive shaft so it will freewheel easily and try it in gear. Then trace it with a screwdrive as a listening device.
If its the Gearbox would the ME5K gearbox be a stronger box to use and would the ratios be of any good.
Any comments about which gearbox is best?????
[:(][;)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What you have probably noticed from this board is that noisy gearboxes are not a common problem on any Citroen. That doesn't mean they don't happen but simply they are unusual.
If the gearbox (or final drive for that matter) was noisy I would expect considerable differences in noise dependant on load (ie drive/overrun) and gear selected. I accept that the final drive is affected by all gears but think there should be some respite on the change from drive to overrun or coasting out of gear.
So - Have you checked that the engine mounts are all sound (They would have to be pretty bad for this sort of noise but could allow the engine to touch something), the exhaust, space all round the engine, and that sort of thing.
Wheel bearings usually fail one at a time in a hub so they are influenced by cornering, and often applications of brakes affect the noise as the brake changes the load slightly.
Jeremy
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

This noise is defintely a bearing. It drones according to the speed I'm travelling at, but makes no difference which gear is engaged, whether power on or off, braking or cornering. But as I said earlier, I can feel it through the steering wheel, but not through the clutch or gearlever.
The bearings mentioned earlier have all been renewed one by one in the course of the last 3 weeks.
Sometime ago with another car I had, the bearing failure was not picked up by cornering loads etc, like this it remained constant.
Over the weekend I shall recheck both front hubs again without the drive shafts fitted and then refit them and run in gear, jacked up and trace the noise once and for all.

Fingers crossed.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My Volcane TD whines, I thought it was the LH driveshaft which I have just replaced but although improved the whine is still there, the thing is not soiling its transmission oil, I am inclined to let the fault develop. Its likeley to be a bit of wear in the diff as the car has done big miles.
Stewart
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Somehow I don't think this is wear in diff from the level of noise its making, you can clearly hear it above the radio. Granted the mileage is high, but believe me this is not normal wear & tear.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Forgive me in advance for suggesting this but have you checked your tires. I had some on the rear for ages and then put them on the front. They sounded just like a worn bearing. Obviously it made no difference whether in gear or not. The rubber had become hard creating the noise. (They even droned on the rear to some extent)
There was also vibration throught the steering wheel.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Well I think I have found the source of the noise. I did as I said, putting the car on stands and running in gear and using a probe (long Jack handle) to listen where this was comming from.
First checked each side of the diff near the drive shafts and then the stub axles. With the engine running it was difficult to say whether which was at fault. So I had my son to run the engine up to 50mph, then shut off and let the transmission idle to a halt in neutral and again listened at the same time.
The fault appears to be the first wheel bearing I changed. It must be either faulty or some foreign matter got in during reassembly. So its going to be another two hours work to replace it.
Good thing its not Gearbox.
Thanks for all with your comments.