Cleaning out BX Reservoir

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Having located the blocked orifice in my height corrector valve (it was one of the dia 6mm damping discs), I now think it would be a good idea to clean out the reservoir. Some simple questions, like
How is the black cap tremoved from the top of the reservoir ?
How is the filter removed ?
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Peter,
just remove the retaining length of spring steel (wire ?) that holds the reseviour in position. The whole center of the reseviour will lift out (just like your GS's).
The filters will be plainly obvious once you have lifted the center of the reseviour out. Just clean them in petrol and blow dry with compressed air.
I have Total LHM+ at my place, it's $10bux for 1litre bottles if you need any.
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Forgot to mention.
Chuck the existing LHM out and remove the plastic disc from the bottom of the reseviour, under this disc you will find a lot of black rubbish that you'll need to clean out. Also clean the reseviour with petrol and blow dry with compressed air. Careful as the edges of the reseviour opening are very sharp.
seeya,
Shane L.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

You may need to take the fuel pump off to get the reservoir out. I thought I could get away with it and instead dropped LHM all over the drive.
Oscar
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oscar Too</i>

You may need to take the fuel pump off to get the reservoir out. I thought I could get away with it and instead dropped LHM all over the drive.
Oscar
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There must be a deisel pump in the way ?? the 1.9litre petrol motors don't have anything in the way.
seeya,
Shane L.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Yes, the rim really is razor sharp and I have a scar to prove it-be very careful!!
You may also need to pull one or two of the pipes off or they will pull themselves off for you- the L shaped connector has a very small ball in it- catch it before it vanishes-I don't know what it does but presumeably its there for a reason!!
Its not the diesel pump in the way- I think Oscarto means the Diesel FILTER, whose removal only takes a minute and makes the job easier.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Bodger is right, that is of course what I meant[:I]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Bodger - the ball is part of an elegant pumping system for the returns. Compress the strut - air and LHM is forced through the returns - lifts ball. Extend strut, ball seats, fluid and air above it is trapped and so on and the LHM creeps up the pipe.
Much the same as those car washing brushes that pump water out of a bucket as you move them!
jeremy
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Thanks fellas. The wire catch ; does it release by pulling out at the bottom ?
The bit of crud that blocked the disc orifice looks like a tiny bit of polypropylene string, about 1.5mm long. How it got there is most mysterious, but I sure don't want to do the HC valve twice.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The PP bit could come from 2 sources :
Either the reservoir filter mesh - or the FDV build-in tiny filter cups.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

The wire retaining clip across the top of the reservoir ; how is that released ?
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Peter it's just a spring wire. It's retained by bending it around and locking it down under it's own pressure both sides (just like your GS/Xantia and the CX). Just pull on one side of it until it releases.
If your having problems I can drop in on the way home at lunch time (around midday) and demonstrate.
seeya,
Shane L.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Thanks, Shane. It's cool. Just got it off. Generally, I hate going into something without knowing what I'm buting into, and right now I'm pushing a deadline to get this car running again, so I don't want any nasty surprises. Your welcome if you want to drop in for a beer and some home-baked bread.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Thanks Peter,
Now I have a craving for warm home baked bread ....... I'll have to leave it for another time though. I think "The Boss" is expecting me home. Just let me know if you think I can help in anyway.
seeya,
Shane L.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

Thanks Peter,
Now I have a craving for warm home baked bread ....... I'll have to leave it for another time though. I think "The Boss" is expecting me home. Just let me know if you think I can help in anyway.
seeya,
Shane L.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I just have to ask - have you two considered a telephone?
JohnW