Strange pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

Strange pipes

Post by weety »

as i did my usual quick check under the bonnet of my R reg xantia td (you know make sure the engine hasnt split in half...that sort of thing) i noticed that what looked like like little breather hoses had come off at the back bulkhead. [:0]
they were between the LHM container and the engine and seemed to connect to a couple of relays and the end of the rocker cover.
i have now reconnected them [:D] but nothing seems to have changed driving the car....does anyone know what they are? [?] my guess is they are part of the engine management system... but i wouldnt put money on it
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Are they the vacuum hoses that control the EGR valve and cold idle speed?
You should have one hose that comes off the vacuum pump (on the gearbox end of the camshaft) and goes to a T piece beneath the two electrovalves, one pipe goes into each electrovalve. The electrovalves should have a pipe each, one goes to the EGR valve (on the exhaust manifold) the other goes up to a diaphragm device that connects to a bowden cable that goes to the injector pump and controls your cold idle speed. If either comes off the cold idle speed will be permanantly enabled so it will never run at its hot idle speed.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The valve on the offside controls the idle speed, the other the EGR.
I would imagine that they may have been disconnected by a previous owner looking to improve performance/consumption.
It has been mentioned by some that leaving the EGR disconnected will improve engine life due to the engine no longer sucking in hot exhaust gases with a heavy oil residue.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

ok thanks for that i might just disconnect it again!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you disconnect the EGR valve hose you will find that your idle speed is stuck at the cold idle speed, you have to disconnect it and plug the valve or disconnect the valve's electrics.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

or just shove a small ball bearing down the vaccum pipe,means you dont need to disconnect the plug which will register a fault code.