HC Warning! (and rip off?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wockhead
My Cars:

HC Warning! (and rip off?)

Post by wockhead »

As a newbi to citroens i would like to extend a warning to others carrying out repairs on the suspension system.
Do not force the anti-roll bar in any direction under any circumstances. You will almost definitly damage the front height controller that is attached to it! (like i did 'cause i didnt know it was there [:I]!) I was trying to refit a front wishbone btw and the roll bar was in the way.....outcomes the crowbar!..ooops!
The garage that it is currently at has quoted £80 for a second hand replacement (off a scrap car)....this seems a bit expensive...any thoughts?
wockhead
My Cars:

Post by wockhead »

on a '95 xantia Td btw
Mark8

Post by Mark8 »

I'd have thought the plastic clip would disconnect........cant see how you could damage the height corrector itself.
Can you trust this garage?
wockhead
My Cars:

Post by wockhead »

The plastic clip did disconnect.....but as the anti roll bar was completely free, ie both subframe clamps were loose and both drop links, i could force it around to my hearts content! i must have damaged the unit like that!
never used the garage b4, so not sure.....what dya rekon on the price?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This is off the GSF online catalogue :
N43470 HEIGHT CORRECTOR XANTIA FRONT HEIGHT CORRECTOR 85.00
If the garage has to first remove the HC from a scrap car and then fit it to your car - then of course labour quickly adds up.
What's included in the £80 quote ?
wockhead
My Cars:

Post by wockhead »

This is why it seems a bit steep, they want £80 for the unit, then 1 1/2 hrs labour charge to fit it?...labour sounds about right...but £80 for a second hander?
Mark8

Post by Mark8 »

But,if the clip did disconnect.....then there was no connection between the arb and the hc.........so you could do what you like with the arb and it couldnt damage the hc.
Maybe you damaged the linkage or clamp at worst,but the clip would go before any damage was done imo.
"is the price anygood" well that depends on what they are going to do.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Unless the body of the HC was crushed, I fail to see how it could have been damaged. The fragile bits are the external metal hi pressure lines, which are liable to bend or snap, but the dainty bits are well protected within the valve body. The connecting control devices are springy bits of wire and steel brackets. I can understand bending a bracket, but this would straighten wuth a big vice-grips.
I Once bought a GS real cheap, because the front HC valve had been sabotaged by stabbing the end with a screwdriver, so that it leaked oil from the return gallery. Fixed it with a speck of silicone rubber adhesive (neutral cure).
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I would have thought that perhaps the plastic connector might be trashed but not a lot else, would like to see with my own eyes really.
Stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Depending on the garage, they could well want £80 just to replace/reconnect the plastic clip. Citroen suspension is an exotic mystery to most people as garages well know and they charge accordingly!!!
Have a good look at the clip, if its o.k. reconnect it and see what happens- if its broken, then thats most likely the fault- go to the online shop and buy another for a few quid.