Xantia Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ljaw2002uk
My Cars:

Xantia Brakes

Post by ljaw2002uk »

Anyone want to take a shot at this? M reg Xantia LX owned it for 2 days. When I brake as the car slows to a final stop I get a rubbing feeling from the brakes, but even when the car is stationary and I depress the brake I can feel this rubbing. Any quick ideas? also while I am here, what is the normal running temp for a xantia? is 90 ok??
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Not quite sure whats happening from your description but as you say it happens when stationary I suppose its got to be pedal and the connecting spring between the pedal and the brake valve.
Otherwise could it be the sound of bubbles in the LHM rushing through the valve? In which case you may be able to eliminate it by 'Citroebics' - raising and dropping the car on its suspension a few times to circulate fluid. - Good idea to do it occasionally anyway as it keeps everything moving and expells any gas that has leaked from the spheres.
Make sure your LHM level is correct - check with the suspension on full height.
Jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Air in the LHM can cause the pedal to pulse, if its not that a new accumulator sphere can cure pulsing.
If its not either of the above you're getting into rather expensive pressure regulator problems. I think the accumulator sphere is the most likely cause.
ljaw2002uk
My Cars:

Post by ljaw2002uk »

Thanks for the advice, I will be going out and doing that in a moment.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Regulators seldom give trouble but are often blamed. If it still ticks too fast (less than about 30 secs with a new accumulator) you can generally cure it by re-seating the non-return valve, an operation that will probably cost you nothing! (You may even be able to do it with the regulator in place!)
A test for the accumulator is to raise the car fully and see if the ticking rate decreases - Height correctors open, suspension spheres function like 4 accumulators!
Jeremy
ljaw2002uk
My Cars:

Post by ljaw2002uk »

Jeremy, I am afraid the thread is getting a little out of my league. I tried the "citrobics" and it hasnt changed anything. On the lowest setting the rubbing stopped, back up to normal height, and it baaaccck! Is it dangerous for me to keep driving it like this? Or should I plan on taking a day off and getting a mechanic to take a look?
ljaw2002uk
My Cars:

Post by ljaw2002uk »

Also I know this sounds dumb - how to I check my LHM level? [:I][:I]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ljaw2002uk</i>

Also I know this sounds dumb - how to I check my LHM level? [:I][:I]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You should have a sight dome on the top of your reservoir. The disc should be between the two red lines when the suspension is on high. OR dip your longest finger in the reservoir. You should just be able to reach the surface of the LHM.