Increasing boost on BX Turbodiesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

capri_tzd
My Cars:

Increasing boost on BX Turbodiesel

Post by capri_tzd »

Hi guys, would like to learn a little about winding out the actuator on the XUD7TE's turbo in order to increase boost. Is there anyone who's done this, and can anyone tell me:
1) Where to find the nut (and indeed, the turbo! - sorry, new to this!)
2) How far I can turn it without risking damage to the engine or compromising reliability
3) What sort of gains I can expect
4) Any other comments
Oh yes, by the way, I'm Alex, just got a BX TZD Turbo, also own a Capri 2.8 Injection which is my main car and pride and joy - the BX is a runaround but would love to get her performing a little better[:)]
Cheers guys!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Hi Alex, small world isn't it!
firstly NEVER increase the boost on it's own, its a sure fire way to make it go pop! You need to adjust the fueling as well, and ideally adjust the fueling first!
Before you can get some real help you need to find out if you have a Bosch or Lucas pump as there procedures for both are VERY different, you'll also need to know what turbo you have though i think most of the 1.7td had the Garret turbo which is a little harder to boost up.
As far as turning it, you can go all the way to the end of the gate travel, but you'll probably pop the gasket and wreck the engine. Unfortunately there isn't a 'specific' amount of turn for either the fueling nor the turbo, generally more than a 1/4 turn on the fuel is enough, then adjust the turbo.
In all honesty you CANT successfully (ie more power and more economy!) adjust the boost without a boost guage. You can either go to halfords and get a tims one, or if your clever have a look at US websites! You can find really good guages for the same price as a cheapo halfords one even after shipping (have to love the dollar), most US companies are more than happy to ship to the uk! You need to have a boost guage that will go from 0 to 2 bar (about 30PSI?).
Then it's down to personal choice as to where to adjust the boost too, everyone has there own opinion on this. personally i'd aim for about 1.3bar without a decent and known gasket, then after some basic mods take it upto 1.6bar
To do the fueling once your happy with the pressure then its a case of adjusting the fuel UP till it smokes and blows nasty black stuff out, then bring it back down until you get a little puff on spin up and/or spin down. This should see you with a huge increase in mid range power and usually better economy (though that depends on driving style!).
Notes, well dont push it! She's an old car and although only 12 years old, she wont like taking abuse! You need to fully flush the coolant system, regardless of how clean it might seem, and replace the Thermostat int he process. It's also well worth doing the head gasket and getting a decent multilayer steel one in there, then at the same time grind the valves in, reset the tappets, chang ehte cam belt and the water pump and while your in there change the cam to a 1.9 na diesel cam!
Then if your really brave, fit a front mount IC!
But if your looking for an instant result skip the boost and change the oil to GTD Magnetec (or any other B3 sports TD oil) and put a Xantia v6 or Xantia HDi oil filter on (i havent checked the V6 one fits yet) there bigger and hold a lot more crud in them! Replace the air filter (dont get rid of the box, it's your friend!) go for either a new one from the parts store or go for a K+N panel. Then start running her on Shell Diesel, that is one of the biggest things for me and fortunately most of the garages around me are Shell! You might want to throw in some injector cleaner next time your off for a big drive, follow the instructions, but put a little extra in!
Once you've found out which turbo and pump you have let me know and i'll point you in the direction of 'how to's'
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Vanny
Can you tell me how to turn the fuelling down and turbo down??!! My BX is too thirsty and too fast and has been tweaked at some stage in the past. I don't need a car that will go from 70 to 100 without me noticing and with my wife, my boss and my boss's child staring at me in horror [:)], as happened this weekend.
All contributions gratefully received.
O
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oscar Too</i>

Vanny
Can you tell me how to turn the fuelling down and turbo down??!! My BX is too thirsty and too fast and has been tweaked at some stage in the past. I don't need a car that will go from 70 to 100 without me noticing and with my wife, my boss and my boss's child staring at me in horror [:)], as happened this weekend.
All contributions gratefully received.
O
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There is a foot operated lever within the passenger compartment which can be adjusted to give the desired affect. There is also another lever next to it which causes a dramatic drop in performance and next to that there is a lever which makes the engine speed and road speed independent.
I recommend you only adjust this lever and also the lever in your head marked 'Self Control'
capri_tzd
My Cars:

Post by capri_tzd »

Right, thanks for the info Vanny - I think I might give that one a miss after all though... The BX is, after all, just a runaround car which I bought to save money on, not to spend out! (although i'm doing a lot of spending at the moment lol!) I'll take your advice on the oil and fuel system cleaners though, but I'm only really after 'screw-unscrew' performance upgrades - if there are any! Might also look into a K&N panel filter.
Cheers for the tips!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

K&N panels pop up on Ebay quite often
Stewart
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

thanks stewart, now everyone will be bidding on the one thats still going for 99p :( it was going to be my spare!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Sorry to hijack but do people really think these K&N filters are worth the money over standard filters? Does it really seem to improve breathability as Ive heard?
Cheers
Paul
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

From my point of view it makes an instant difference! Certainly feels a lot smoother from the low range, also changes the running pitch of the engine!
Biggest benefit i can see is that i'm not gonna have to keep replacing the air filter as i find they get dirty really quick and a clean fileter makes the biggest improvement to a diesel!
On the flip side, i wouldn't be putting a K&N on a new fangled car (specifically the T5!), where a BIG turbo is involved it seems to suck the filter oil clean out of the filter. Not to big a deal if you re oil the filter semi often BUT it covers the insides with a thin layer of oil, and with modern MAPI sensors and other AFI (electronic computer bits and gizmo's) they dont take well to the oil and fail! NOT GOOD
I also dont rate 'cones' and aftermarket inductin kits as i cant see them being any better than that lovely HUGE filter panel! I Do plan to create a modified intake so im sucking in cold air instead of warm air, but the nice big box stays!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I got a scorpion foam panel to fit in my standard airbox, sounds slightly growlier, perhaps a tiny bit quicker, I once bored loads of inch holes in a BX TD airbox, that went better too but sounded like an old commer breadvan!
Stewart
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

There is a foot operated lever within the passenger compartment which can be adjusted to give the desired affect. There is also another lever next to it which causes a dramatic drop in performance and next to that there is a lever which makes the engine speed and road speed independent.
I recommend you only adjust this lever and also the lever in your head marked 'Self Control'
ItDontGo: Very funny, made me chuckle[:D] But also: point taken[:I] Thanks!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

70 to 100 without noticing? That's sales talk!