throtle cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

toldem_oldham
My Cars:

throtle cable

Post by toldem_oldham »

All reet peeps!!!!! got a xantia td lx estate recently and the accelorator seems to b stiff it revs up ok but revs are slow to decrease when foot is off the accelorator.Ive realeased the cable from the fuel pump and this seems to be free backwards and forward could it be down to the gas strutt on the pump been at fault or is it somethin more sinister? oh it only does this when the engine is warm,when first started the engine revs correctly [?]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Firstly check the routing of the cable under the bonnet, see if the thing is being trapped or is running in any tight curves that can be avoided, the gas strut can be safely removed to see if its at fault, AFAIK it was originally fitted to slow throttle closing and make the engine braking more gentle.
Stewart[:D]
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

Thanx oilyspanner if it is faulty can i get 1 from a motor factors or is it a visit to the dreaded main dealers [:(!].As for the cable been obstructed ive checked and it is clear of kinks and nothing seems to be interfearing with it.i dont know y they couldnt keep em like the 1ns on the pug 405 td spring operated,much less maintainence but thats bosch for u init.[B)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Have you pulled the damper off yet? a lot of folks never get around to replacing them apparently.
Stewart
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

no but on a further look with the accel cable removed from the pump the arm returns slow so i suspect its the strut thats at fault but i will remove strut and investigate it before buyin a fresh 1.paul.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

As Stewart says I have removed the gas strut from my TD and it makes the throttle close faster (but not as fast as a petrol engine). The engine braking does not appear to be any more fierce so i have left the damper on a shelf in the garage.
Richard
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

i presumed the strutt returned the arm as there is no spring on the 98 pump as there was on my 92 pug 405 td but i will try it thanx.paul.
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

Thanx for the info!!! the strutt is in its final resting place (the bin)and the revs go low soon as my foot leaves the accel peddle [^]