running out of fuel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stewart_c
My Cars:

running out of fuel

Post by stewart_c »

Hi Folks, there I was pulled into a "cheap" 86p filling station to do my 2 weekly fillup had the plastic glove on & the fuel flap would not open.I had long nosed pliers in the back so I tried to pull the rod that is visible through the small gap but only succeeded in scratching the paintwork.
How can i get it open? which way does the plunger move?(I think it must be to the left but am unsure).
Sure I could blooter the flap with a large screwdriver & if it comes to that then I will but I was hoping to do something creative untill
I am forced to do otherwise,Ive got about 60 miles to go,it is a diesel if it makes any difference which I don't think it will.
Silly it is one of these things you know is there but never do any maintenance on.[:(]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The plunger goes towards the rear of the car. Use a thin blade and gradually lever the plunger backwards whilst holding tight with another blade.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Or, go into the boot, and find the actuator. Either unbolt and remove until a replacement can be found, or jump 12v directly across it to move the plunger out.
What car are we talking about here?
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

Thanks for the replys folks,tried the knife this morning to no avail so I undid the nut to allow a bit more wiggle but also had to drill a hole through the gap between flap & body into the back of the flap housing to allow the plunger to slip through.I am now back to normal with a small bit of filler on the back of the flap.
Confess, how many of you have ever lubricated this plunger because you could end up in deep s**t for the sake of a bit of oil.
ps:- this is the first time in 5 years of owning this car that I have ever seen the plunger so it is worth taking an oil can to it.
the car was a xantia estate.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

good point mate..... i always try to learn of other peoples mistakes and my rod is now lubed!
basil

Post by basil »

I had the same problem on my xan hatch.To get to the plunger I had to remove the wheelarch lining then undo the nut on the plunger.The problem was not due to siezure but the piece of bent 'paperclip'linkage which was slightly wonky(sorry for the non Haynes speak).
________
Starcraft Ii Replays
Last edited by basil on 22 Feb 2011, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.