Advice sought! ZX Avantage or Volcane.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Foxy
My Cars:

Advice sought! ZX Avantage or Volcane.

Post by Foxy »

I need to decide whether to keep my ZX Avantage 1996,N reg.5 door,mileage 93K which I paid £7,000 for 8 years ago, or opt for a 1993 L reg. ZX Volcane 3 door model, mileage 89K.
The trouble is I've always fancied the higher spec.n Volcane and I recently had the chance to purchase this one off one careful owner, so I did just that!
The insurance for each car is pretty much the same.
Although the Volcane is 3 years older it is a far superior drive, especially on acceleration. I drive the family to France every year and get lumbar pains after an hour but I think the Volcane seats would eliminate this!
However, I only have main dealer service history up to 50K with the Volcane, no evidence of a cam belt change. It would also mean swopping tow bars onto Volcane if i kept it.
I do have a full service history with the Avantage, which tows a laden trailer 'for fun' but rather sluggish now in comparison.
Body work on both mint. Interior in Volcane mint. The Avantage is ok, has a dodgy radio and only 2 speakers in the front, (kids often complain). Volcane horn not working also wobbly speedo cable,rear and front washers don't work properly. Drivers air bag and rear brake light in Avantage none in Volcane. Oil warning light (Orange one) coming on for longer than 10 seconds at start up, but then goes out , oil level spot on?
I definitely get a big buzz on the 'pick up' of the Volcane.
Everyone likes the metallic blue on the Volcane as opposed to the mettalic grey/green of the Avantage.
I'm currently thinking about moving home so don't really want to go and spend a lot!
Many thanks in anticipation of sound advice.
Foxy0-0[;)]
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Sounds like the Volcane is the better car to me.....Im going to change my Reflex to a Volcane in the summer.
Foxy
My Cars:

Post by Foxy »

Hi, are both engines identical, the volcane seems to have more power!
Foxy
My Cars:

Post by Foxy »

Sorry both cars are 1.9Turbo Diesels!!!!!!!!!!!
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Sounds like your definatly more sold on the Volcane. Know what you mean about back pain and standard ZX seats....usually sets in about hour and half/two hours into journey.
Foxy
My Cars:

Post by Foxy »

Yeh, exacltly the same !!!!
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Then when you arrive at destination your spine clicks back into place!!! lol. Still could be worse, I've had the 'pleasure' of driving a borrowed Pug 309 whose seats seem too small, finishing half way up my back and im only 5'7 tall!!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

A few questions:
Are they petrol or diesel? Is the Advantage a turbo (if it's a diesel)?
Which car has the oil light on for more than ten seconds from start up? That could be worrying. What make of filter is on that car?
Although there's no Citroen service history after 50K, does the Volcane come with any reciepts for work done?
If you want to keep the Volcane, you're looking at cambelt (and possibly rollers and waterpump while you're there). Speedo cable is not a nice job.
Botton line is, all other things being equal, run the car you like the best.
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

Definitly the volcane as the suspension and handling is much better, plus you got a sporty looking motor,
downside would be its a 3 door could get annoying after a while when u have to let people sitting in the back out.
just get the cam belt changed if you get it and the alternator tensioner as well to get rid of a noisy engine.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I like my Volcane too, the motor seems zippier than my 19 BX TD? I wonder if they were meant to be that way?
Stewart
Foxy
My Cars:

Post by Foxy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arry_b</i>

A few questions:
Which car has the oil light on for more than ten seconds from start up? That could be worrying. What make of filter is on that car?
Although there's no Citroen service history after 50K, does the Volcane come with any reciepts for work done?
If you want to keep the Volcane, you're looking at cambelt (and possibly rollers and waterpump while you're there). Speedo cable is not a nice job.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Foxy
My Cars:

Post by Foxy »

Hi, 'Arry,
To anw. your question both are 1.9 Turbo diesels. The Volcane has the orange low level warning lamp lighting but I must say it goes off before I drive.N.B. the oil level is correct. The make of oil filter is a 'bog standard one with slight rust showing near the base, (I can't remember the make). No after 50K there is no service history, apart from all the previous MOT certs. from the same garage , which seem pretty accurate.
Regards,
Chris (Foxy).[?]

A few questions:
[/quote]
[/quote]
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I'd have to say go with the volcane if you don't mind getting the little bits sorted. I've got a 2.0i volcane 3dr and love it. It handles so much better than my dads avantage. It looks better, goes better down twisty roads. I can drive upto aberdeen from Lancaster which is a 3-4 huor journey and the seats are very comfy.
Drive which one you feel best with.
Ste
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

I'd go for the volcane, but then I'm biased. My previous was 1.9d Avantage which was reasonably quick once on the move, but when spotted current car for sale, jumped at the chance. Mine had limited service history....
Budget £100 to get cambelt done. Easy enough to peform basic service yourself, oil and filters,
check brakes etc for piece of mind
Your driving, so three door not a problem - the missus will have to keep getting in and out lol.
See http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=12971 but i guess your familiar with items to look for already [:)]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

If it were me, I'd be looking at finding out why the oil pressure light stays on for 10 seconds on the Volcane. Change the filter for a genuine one (about £3 from GSF) and see if this makes a difference. Hopefully, the light is just staying on because the filter has no drain back valve, or the one in the filter has failed. This means that the engine has to fill the filter before oil pressure builds up.
If it's the same with a new genuine Purflex filter, then there's a problem with the engine - worn mains, big ends or oil pump.
Nice as the Volcane is (no contest), if you're moving house soon, you don't need the extra expense of repairing a duff car.