Value of CX 25 DTR turbo 2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

...oh, and another thing... If the owner claims to have had it a few years, then ask to see the big book of receipts. If he claims there isn't one, well....
Pete
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pete_wood_uk</i>

...oh, and another thing... If the owner claims to have had it a few years, then ask to see the big book of receipts. If he claims there isn't one, well....
Pete
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Why ??
I've owned CX's for the last 15years. No big book of receipts here. Nothing really wears out that wouldn't on any other car.
My biggest ever CX expenditure was the Injection Computer dying on my CX2500 GTi Turbo. Being a personal import into Australia I had to source another computer from the UK. I don't think we can blame that on it being a CX. After all it's a bosch computer .... Go blame them.
The terrible wiring quality I am willing to blame on citroen. But hey, there not much worse than a lot of other cars ... All the terminals & plugs on mine had just turned a rotten/corroded looking green colour (note: Aussie cars don't do this, we only use salt on our dinner plates, not our roads).
seeya,
Shane L.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Tom's is Turbo 1. Turbo 2s have a lot more BHP which must be nice, though the Turbo 1 is perfectly useable and will happily cruise all day on the motorway. I spent last week driving Tom's saloon and had great fun.
The one on ebay looks interesting, but be prepared to spend a lot, as cars of this age, and particularly old CXs, need plenty of tlc. Prices for a decent one are normally much MORE than for a BX of similar age in the UK. Tatty ones may go for considerably less.
Parts? Expect them to be more expensive than for the BX, (air filter £20+!) though the basic diesel engine was shared with a number of Citroen/Peugeot/Talbot commercial vehicles, which may mean cheaper alternatives sometimes.
If you don't have a drive to store it on, then you could be caught very short come MOT time. Many people selling MOT-less CXs on ebay have got hold of one with the intention of restoring it and then found it all too much. Caveat emptor squared, but buy a decent one and you'll fall in love with it.
I've been tempted many, many times.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Found one CX TRD Turbo II selling for 3.500€.
According to owner, it's in good condition. Painting is as new.
Specs: 120Hp, 258Nm, Intercooler, Leather, Air Conditioning, Electric windows, Assisted steering.
How fun to drive will this car be if compared to the CX GTi?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Interesting, and thanks everyone for your comments. I'm right on the verge of deciding to buy it. The only thing that it lacks is A/C, which unfortunately I need, as I get awful hayfever, so it's windows up, a decent pollen filter, and A/C on. Having read about other people's issues with the standard CX aircon though, I think I'd be better retro-fitting my own A/C from a modern car.
Space to put it isn't too much of a problem, but it does mean that I need to get rid of some of the general "stuff" I have stored at the moment.
Did all the UK spec estates have that rather lacklustre interior colour? I've seen 3 the same now. I think I'd have to find a CX leather interior for it.
Thanks again for everyone's guidance on this. I'll have to see if it'll fit in the garage to work on it when it's raining!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Turbo 2 is nice but all the usual CX problems. It isn't the rust, it is the difficulty of spares availability that will frustrate you when it fails. Mine has been fairly reliable but the biggest problem is that it is an old car. Sometimes it feels its age. People do let you out of junctions, though. Mine may yet be sold. Grolliffe is back and I prefer the BX. I'd miss the reactions to Grace though.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Well, thanks again everyone, but it is now unfortunately academic. The car went for more than my maximum. Ok, my maximum was low, but I thought £200 was reasonable for an unknown car, bought without seeing it.
Tom... if you are considering selling, what sort of price would you be looking at? and is "grace" an estate? (I'm guessing not, as you haven't mentioned it in your sig)
Is there any difference in the mechanicals between a 25DTR turbo and a 25DTR turbo 2?
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Forget Toms car .... Here's one for you that'll be a lot more fun (after all if your running it as a second car you might as well have a 'fun' car)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 89050&rd=1
Trust me you'll love driving one of these .... Especially the stunned looked on the faces of M3 BMW drivers when they can't shake this 20+year old Citroen off there rear bumper out on the motorways [}:)] [:D] Image Image Image
seeya,
Shane L.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

I saw that one too. I'd love it, but unfortunately it's price is going to be a little high for me at the moment, and I doubt I could afford the mortgage every time it needs filling up with fuel. I drive quite high mileages, and while this would be a *perfect* long distance high-speed tourer, 20mpg is just unrealistic for me.
and it's a saloon... I'm really after an estate.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have owned 3 CX Safari's and condider that for sheer driving pleasure they are unsurpassed, but they do have their problems. The first 2 were diesel but non turbo, both had head gasket problems, the third was turbo although not intercooled, during the 160k or so miles I covered I had to replace the head gasket at least 10 times and the head twice, I eventually took the engine out and had the block machined, made no difference, the gasket went again after about 15k, it was then I found out about the porous block problem. I am now on my 4th XM and have just changed the head gasket at about 120K, in the length of time it took me, I could have probably changed another 10 CX gaskets! Has anybody had a diesel CX that hasn't needed frequent gasket changes? As far as other problems are concerned, I have allways been able to cope with these with the aid of a friends press
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fastandfurryous</i>

I saw that one too. I'd love it, but unfortunately it's price is going to be a little high for me at the moment, and I doubt I could afford the mortgage every time it needs filling up with fuel. I drive quite high mileages, and while this would be a *perfect* long distance high-speed tourer, 20mpg is just unrealistic for me.
and it's a saloon... I'm really after an estate.
Nah ... There not that bad ....
I run a CX2500 GTi Turbo I Series II. With my trip to work & back (10minute drive that barely gets it upto operating temperature .... About 15intersections in 5kms). I get 24mpg.
Now show it the highway for cruising and it consistantly returns 34mpg (constant 100-120km/h). Now obviously if your going to use the available power and travel at extremely high speeds fuel economy will dramatically decline.
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter.N.</i>

I have owned 3 CX Safari's and condider that for sheer driving pleasure they are unsurpassed, but they do have their problems. The first 2 were diesel but non turbo, both had head gasket problems, the third was turbo although not intercooled, during the 160k or so miles I covered I had to replace the head gasket at least 10 times and the head twice, I eventually took the engine out and had the block machined, made no difference, the gasket went again after about 15k, it was then I found out about the porous block problem. I am now on my 4th XM and have just changed the head gasket at about 120K, in the length of time it took me, I could have probably changed another 10 CX gaskets! Has anybody had a diesel CX that hasn't needed frequent gasket changes? As far as other problems are concerned, I have allways been able to cope with these with the aid of a friends press
Man did you run battery acid in there cooling systems. I've never replaced a CX headgasket .... And I've been driving them for 16years [:0]
We have a CX2200 deisel, it had a slight headgasket leak when we purchased it (tiny bubbles in the coolant, no oil/coolant mixing). It was driven by my father for about 3years with no cap on the header tank. Once replaced we never had another problem.
How do you guys trash so many headgasket on CX's (and BX's [:0]???).
Did you replace the headbolts when you did the headgasket change on the CX, possibly it needed new 'stretch' headbolts each time you removed the head (ie: the new gasket blew shortly afterwards).
seeya,
Shane L.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Even 30-35 mpg is heavy for me. My first car ever was a Talbot Horizon 1.9D, so I was instantly accustomed to about 50mpg. I recently had to run a vauxhall cavalier 2.0i which I coudn't get more than about 38mpg from, and it hurt! £250 a month in fuel is a killer.
I guess a CX 25 DTR will do a good 45mpg, as the same engine (although naturally aspirated) in my Express van manages nearly 40mpg, and it is aerodynamically a brick! I just did the head gasket in that, which was the first one it's had, at 140k miles, and I have to say it was significantly easier than doing an XUD head.
Have to keep looking.....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A 2.2 diesel is rather a different kettle of fish, it uses more or less the same head as the 2.5 (I know because I fitted one to mine)but has considerably less stress. To be fair my first CX gasket didn't fail until about 150K it was only the turbo one I had real problems with but it was such a nice car to drive I put up with it for 7 years. I havn't really had a lot of trouble with XUD gaskets, most doing well in excess of 100k, the XM I have just done, strangly enough, did look as though it had battery acid in the cooling system! the gasket literally fell apart.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Were you having the head skimmed on these head gasket changes? I've found in the past that it is almost impossible to get a good seal on a head gasket without skimming an aluminium head. Simply cleaning it up just doesn't work. I have just done a head skim and gasket on the same U25/L25 Diesel engine in my express van, and (fingers crossed) it seems to be holding together very well
All it needs now is a CX or similar Gearbox so that it isn't revving it's T*ts off at 70mph on the motorway.