Xantia Rear Height Corrector-Fitting Costs?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Xantia Rear Height Corrector-Fitting Costs?

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Hi Guys,
My rear height corrector is dead-kaput-knackered![B)]
The rear suspension of my "emergency Xantia" collapsed on the way to work today and I could see the rod/ball joint from the cable had broken.
It will not be set by hand to the medium height-its either fully up, or totally down. I've had it set to maximum, to get me around.[xx(]
What price should I pay for the new height corrector and fitting-in total?[?]
Just want to double check I do not end up paying through the nose (which I always seem to do) for repair work
I note part number N43472 is £80.00 odd, which is a lot cheaper then what I have just got quoted.
Thanks in advance for you input!
Blaggy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Easy now -
If the rear can be set up or down manually - then the HC is in fact working - as this is the device that either supplies or releases the suspension pressure. Bet it's the famous plastic ball link that has snapped off.
Most of the labour time would be lifting/jacking the rear then.
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Ok, ok thats logical![:I]
BUT the height corrector could only be adjusted to minimum or maximum settings, and only then by a rather large chap leaning of a big screwdriver-and I mean really pulling and pushing on it.
The connector had snapped-but there is no way a new connector is going to moved the linkage of the HC. It is seized solid.
Please tell me the link is not the integral part of the HC? Possibly save me some £££'s to give to the taxman then!
Thanks for you insight already AndersDK
Blaggy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Aha - more details.
Then I have to modify my answer accordingly [8)]
If it takes a good grandiosi chap to move the HC - then it is seized allright. A wellknown problem on the Xantia. The plastic ball link is a separate part cheap and easy to refit.
Donno on the HC itself. It is not exactly cheap. It has 4 pipes to be removed. If some of the pipes are crisp (rusty) these may have to be replaced as well.
Compare it to a brakes service on a standard car where the brake lines are too rusty to withstand a service job.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Can the HC be helped to unseize with a spot of WD40 or is my total lack of knowledge regarding the oily bits on a Xantia shining through here?[:I]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it will move with a big screwdriver, it can probably be freed off with copious amounts of WD-40 or Plus Gas, and working it. However, if the link has snapped, then you are probably into a new height corrector anyway. Probably a couple of hours labour to fit and set the ride height.
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Thanks guys, quote I have is £140 for new HC, and all bits (linkages new pipes if needed etc) and all set up. I think from you answers this is a good quote.
Blaggy
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had mine replaced last year as the rear started to sink over the course of a week or so untill the rear was on the floor.Not nice driving it like that!Cost about £200 all in for h/corrector,accum sphere,leak on the pump fixed,& a few dash bulbs replaced.That was from a local indie garage.
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Np,
Hmm...sounds like my quote is a tad expensive then...they say the new HC is an O/E piece of kit...maybe that explains the price.
Got to spend the ££ on this occassion, my back and neck have been through the ringer-and the car is now on the bottom limit again.
I'll have brusies appearing soon if its not done.
Blaggy
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I didn`t have time to do mine my self as i was starting a new job,so i took it to the garage & had 1 of their cars for the day.
I also found that it affected the brakes of the car as well.Which wasn`t nice!Shop around a bit.I`ve found a few local garage`s that have no problems doing any thing suspension wise with the Xantia.A lot will just say "No way mate,dont touch them."
Next time,i will have a bash myself.If you get unstuck,use the forum.The longer i have the car(3& a bit yrs)the more confident i become of doing things suspension wise my self.
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Well it's done-£140.00 all in and the suspension is back to where it shold be.
Just wanted to feed back on it here so anyone in the future has a bench mark price.
ps-just started car up this morning and the ignition went blank. Had to re-set with the alarm fob, but now the radio is locked out-and I have a 4 hour drive tonight!
This car hates me!
BY