Anti-sink Xm (front sinks, not rear)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Niek
My Cars:

Anti-sink Xm (front sinks, not rear)

Post by Niek »

Hi all,
I'm a new member to this forum. I've got a '95 2.0i 16v Xm, a '88 Bx and a '86 2cv charleston.
My Xm is equipped with anti-sink. As far as I understand it, this consists of two (non-electric) valves (one front and one rear) and an extra sphere (??) at the rear. What is supposed to happen is that when the pressure of the acc. sphere drops below a certain level, these valves automaticly close to isolate the suspension and therefore preventing the car from sinking.
My car sinks rather quickly at the front (4-8 hours) while the back stays up. But then again (it's a citroen after all) it doesn't always do this and at those times the front stays up as well.
My understanding of the system leads me to believe that it must therefore be the front valve that 'sticks', ie: it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Has anyone experienced this? And has anyone ever taken a closer look at one of these valves? (what does it look like, can you get to it, where exactly is it and can you clean it?)
Thanks,
Niek.
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Hi
Have a look at this site http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/ . Someone recommended this to me in the past, and it's a really useful source of technical info. If you find the appropriate part of the site you will find the Citroen Technical Guide which gives an in depth explanation of all matters hydraulic.
Jamie
spanners

Post by spanners »

THERE IS A CHANCE IT COULD BE WEAR IN THE FRONT LEGS OR SOMETIMES YOU MAY PARK WITH LEGS AT AWKWARD LOCK WHICH ALLOWS FLUID TO PASS HYDRAULIC RAM. OR IT COULD JUST BE A FAULTY ANTI SINK VALVE BUT THEY ARE MORE INVOLVED THAN THE XANTIA SET UP DUE TO ELECTRICS BEING INVOLVED.