Parcel Shelf Ropes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenzx
My Cars:

Parcel Shelf Ropes

Post by citroenzx »

Is there any way of fixing the parcel shelf so the cords fully retract? Or a clever way of getting them out of the way??
I'm sure that this is a common problem for us ZX drivers, because when i see others the cords are either dangling out of the boot or the shelf has been taken out.
I know that this isn't really a huge problem but its a real pain [:(!].
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

Every ZX I see has that problem! I left my parcel shelf down when I used to have a ZX as I remember!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Whilst camping last summer I found a broken tent pole, theaded through it was a long piece of black shockcord, a needle and thread and some false starts measuring the lenth and the ZX parcel shelf lives again, I think you will find the shockcore at camping shops or yacht chandlers.
Stewart
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Annoys me too!!!! I just push them inbetween tailight/bootlid gad, although thats a very temp. measure......till you open boot again.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Xantia LX is exactly the same, I got into the habit of closing the boot twice, when I opened it to close it again the cords would 'go in'. I now have two nice threaded cords and a parcel shelf that dont go up with the door, I'll have to fix it one day ......
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I found that if you drill 2 holes where the cord goes throught the shelf and then fit 2 heavy nuts on to the end of some balck cord, they never hang out the back again. The weight allows then to sink back into the car.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Using the shockcord sounds a good idea.
I know i could remove them or leave the parcel shelf down but i want it working. funny how they used the same system on the Xantia's as well shurely they should of realised that the system failed after opening your boot a couple of times.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Just go to a market, or shop with sewing materials... get a length of circular cross-section cotton covered elastic (medium or thick)... pull off the end-plugs on the shelf, through which the cords run and thence inside the tunnel in the edge of the shelf wherein they are joined onto two lengths of elastic, each anchored to the opposite side... work out the optimum length for the replacement pieces, and then replace the hopelessly feeble elastic Citroen had used... now the cords will retract perfectly every time.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Yep - I did mine as Forth says, and posted an article on it about a year ago, but cannot find the post now.
No need for weird and wonderful bodges - just repair the original fault!
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Sounds good guys. I didn't realise that it was just 2 pieces of elastic, i thought it was a springy windery contraption.
Cheers!
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I paid Citroen £22 for new ones, which should last another 6 years or so! [8D]
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

I don't really want to pay money, for £22 i could live with tucking them back in when i close the boot
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I bought replacements for our deceased ZX but never fitted them. They kicked around so long I think 1 got broken but I'm happy to mail them to you FOC.
Let me know your address,
mipzter
Stansbury
My Cars:

Post by Stansbury »

Its always nice to know I am not the only one with elastic spinning in the wind when im driving down the A11! I, until a week ago used to close the boot just enough to get my hands in and pull the cords so they were tight. and then close it so you cant see them but as mentioned as soon as you open the boot again they go wrong again. I got a parcel shelf on eBay for 5.00 and fitted that. Now they work fine.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Yeah it cracks me up as every zx i see has these bits of elastic hanging out the back.