Oil Filter and gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

broomie
My Cars:

Oil Filter and gearbox

Post by broomie »

Hdi i 2.0 (90). I changed the oils this weekend (hurrah) !
I thought I'd also check the Gearbox level.
Q1. Although I used the correct filter I still have 4 x BX ones which LOOK exactly the same as the Xantia one (diff numbers though). Can I use teh BX ones?
Q2. Where is the filler plug I looked everywhere (well clearly I did not) missed it!
Finally - in order to do oio change - up on tamps and off with undertray - oil changed , filter changed - all tight all god - off ramps.
Now stood staring at undertray - back on ramps.....!
Paul B
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Paul,
Just check the pressure relief pressure.
I recently bought an oil filter for my Xantia and found it was slightly different to the BX although it was recommended either one will work.
Prooblem is that if it's too high it will cause the engine to starve of oil if it were to get a blockage, before it bypassed the filter and if it's too low, it will open too soon and send unfiltered oil through the engine.
Cits can have some horrendous pressures in their lubrication systems at times. I can remember my son setting a MoTeC on his CX after fitting a filter (not a Purflux) that had a round section "O" ring and blew it clean out of the filter base. It happebned 3 times until he eventually fitted a test gauge to check the oil pressure and it was I think about double of what we normally find on cars of that era, so it's something that needs to be carefully checked.
Alan S
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Alan
Many thanks - I'll look for info on the various relief pressures. You are as always a mine of valuable information.
PaulB
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Paul,
As regards the question of fillers for gearboxes, I found on my 2.0i VSX that it was in the same position as the BX namely on the end of the gearbox accessed under the guard with the front wheel & inner guard off.
I have been told that some do have a filler at the top but in the interests of simplicity and accuracy, I usually just pull the plug that is located on the RHS of the gearbox end about half way up that is the level plug.
Most 1 litre bottles of gear oil come with spouts and if it is too difficult to access I simply extend it with a piece of plastic hose. Fill until the oil dribbles from the hole and all is well. As you're supposed to remove that plug anyway so as to get the level right, I don't see it as any imposition to also use it to fill from as they do with many other brands of cars.
Alan S
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

On the subject of HDI oil filters, they do look the same but I believe Jon mentioned some time ago that the difference is in the internal construction of the HDI version having a longer life. i.e. Requires less frequent oil changes.
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

As above. The filters look very similar, may even screw on. But they definately have different part numbers.