XM - Front suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xm-2.5td
My Cars:

XM - Front suspension

Post by xm-2.5td »

Andreas, guys, I'm in desperate need of your help again.
My '97 2.5 TD exclusive Xm has an "erection" problem - the front suspension will not sink !!! and as of this morning will not rise unless I play with in-car height settings.
I was not driving car over winter...and winter here was terrible so it was in the garage whole time. Of course, I was checking up on my car every while and it was fine until a week ago.
I noticed that if I raise the car on third level...front end will not come down to normal anymore?!!!
Just as a reminder...I have no problem with spot/normal setting - works fine as before, steering wheel and brakes as well; even raising works fine when I set it on third or max level. Both end of the car would rise up simultaneously.
Also, you know that good feeling when you go out of the car - it raises and then after couple of seconds comes down to normal again? - well, it doesn't do that anymore. Only the rear side comes down and the front is looking in the sky.
But this morning something has changed - rear goes up normally.... but front would not.
I had to play with height control in car to set it up and take it out of my garage.
Am I wrong if I suspect this is all due to corroded front HC? Tell me it is!!
Many thanks in advance
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

First get the car up on ramps or over a pit and check that the long rod that goes from the height control lever beside the gear lever to the height corrector valves front and back is moving properly. Then try lubricating the activating levers for the height correctors and cycling the car up>down>up>down to make sure that the levers aren't sticking.
NOTE! Make sure you have sufficient height under the car before you do this!! Otherwise you risk getting 1800kg of XM suddenly lying om you!
I would also have a look at the LHM oil and the filters in the LHM tank.
//NiSk
xm-2.5td
My Cars:

Post by xm-2.5td »

Forgot to mention - LHM is changed some 3000 km ago. Before that I flushed system with hydroflush.
Spheres are also new, original from Citroen dealer.
Nisk, if it's what you are saying it is, how come system works in opposite direction?
Will what you're saying today...thanks :)
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I always start with the easy parts . . . If it's not the mechanical linkages then I'm afraid it might well be the anti-sink valve(s) that I image your '97 is fitted with. They can create all sorts of funny responses if they stick or if there are poor electrical connections to them.
Citroëns fitted with anti-sink must fist pump up sufficient pressure to overcome the pressure in the suspension behind the anti-sink valve, before the hydraulics start to behave normally. If you have weak output from your HP pump, an air leak in the inlet side, dirty LHM or LHM filters, sticking anti-sink valve(s), poor electical connections (what? on a Citroën!!LOL) the you are going to get some funny responses to the hydraulics.
//NiSk
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Sorry Nisk, the anti sink valves are purely hydraulic - no electrical connections.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

OK, what other options are there then - maybe flat accummulator sphere or hyractive spheres? Sticking antisink valve?
//NiSk
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

May sound obvious, but check that your hydraulic pump belt is not slipping
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the pump belt were slipping - it would screem like h..l .
I'd say you should give the front HC and linkage a service overhaul. Chances are something has got dry and now tends to stick.
xm-2.5td
My Cars:

Post by xm-2.5td »

Nisk, Andreas DK, you guys where right; It was a front HC.
Don't know how, and not sure if you gonna believe me but car even feels better on the road now.
I took out front HC, cleaned it and now it's fine...except for one other thing he he he...looks like I'll have to do rear HC as well he he he.
When I put a car to normal driving position...it's fine. If i lift it up to third level...rear of the car goes to highest position.
Then when I put car to go up to the max...only front side goes up, since the rear is already up.
What do you think, should I clean rear HC or just to try to adjust height ?
Thanks for help :)