Dim Glow from Xantia's Generator Warning Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeO

Dim Glow from Xantia's Generator Warning Light

Post by MikeO »

Driving home this evening, I noticed that the generator warning light is glowing very dimly. I noticed a few weeks ago that it was flickering now and again - now it seems to be dimly on all the time, although its bightness varies.
Is there a new alternator somewhere in my future?[V]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

likeley
Stewart
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Worn down brushes. You could replace them (material cost almost nothing, a couple of hours work getting the alternator out, screwed apart, slip-rings skimmed, brushes solder in place, reassembled and put back in the car) but then again if you can get a cheap replacement from a scrappy that hasn't done too many miles it should last as long as yours has.
//NiSk
David Humphrey

Post by David Humphrey »

I would check the output first with a multimeter.I have had a similar problem which seemed to be a fault on the circuit board in the dash display.
David
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

I agree, first use a volt meter to check the battery volts, should be above 12.5v at rest, and above 14v with the engine running.
Keep the meter attrached and engine running about 2K rpm and turn on all the electrics, loading up the alternator, should not drop below about 12v.
On some regulators it is not possible to replace the carbon brushes, but these can be extended see my "Extra Life to BX Alternator" in "Hints and Tips".
Best of luck
MikeO

Post by MikeO »

Thanks for your help.
Okay, put the meter across the battery terminals. At rest it read 12.17v, at idle it went down to 11.50v, no matter what engine speed. This reduced again to 11.10 when loaded (lights, HRW etc), again unaffected by engine speed.
So it looks like a new alternator.
Access to the alternator looks pretty good (I've not read the manual yet), but I can't see how to get to the belt tensioner (I plan to replace the belt at the same time). Any tips?
Cheers
Mike[:)]
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

did mine through the inner wheel arch, carefully remove the plastic inner wing thingy (oh ok just rip it of) and you should be able to get at it
MikeO

Post by MikeO »

Thanks everyone for your help - went to the local breakers and they supplied (£35) and fitted (£25) within the hour - well chuffed!
It's not a new alternator, of course, but 13.97v with the engine running and no voltage drop under load means it'll do for now...
Mike [:)]