Misfire and clatter - but not all the time

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Misfire and clatter - but not all the time

Post by Johnno »

Help needed in diagnosis on some strange symptoms. The car is a 2.1TD VSX Xantia. Recently, it has developed two symptoms. A misfire which started some four to five weeks ago on a trip to Southampton, went away and is now back. Earlier on the same day, the engine suddenly developed a pronounced clatter and went rather dead - as though the timing had slipped. This went away after I decelerated (well, you would, wouldn't you!) and then gently re-applied the throttle. The clatter still occurs from time to time, but neither symptom is consistent. The misfire doesn't occur under hard acceleration and the clatter can occur under no-load conditions. There is no apparent air passing through the pipe into the pump and both symptoms may be completely unrelated, as they haven't occurred at the same time. I have considered the electronics on the pump, but this is difficult to check, and because of the lack of consistency, you just know that the beast will behave in a workshop! Could the pick-up on the flywheel be the culprit? The timing belt was done earlier this year. Additional info is that the idling is smooth after coming to a rest, but after a few seconds becomes a little 'lumpy'. On start-up, there is often a quick surge before settling down.
Not much to go on, I know, but some of you may have come across this sort of thing before.
Cheers,
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a good search of this site - 2.1 sensor brought up loads.
try this one for size
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=8985
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

With older diesels this sort of thing would either be injectors sticking / dripping or a fault with the injector pump, these tend not to be intermittent. A classic symptom would be that the engine would smoke while it's being noisy.
The 2.1 is electronically controlled so Jeremy's suggestion sounds plausable electronic faults can cause you no end of grief...