Xant no more.........(now with pictures)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Xant no more.........(now with pictures)

Post by paranoid »

After 18 months of happy ownership, 6 spheres, 3 services , one cambelt lots ans lots of wax and polish and a total of 75'000 miles some numpty did this to the TD today[V][V][V]
What do you guys reckon ? is it a write off (R reg 97 )
[img][[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/ca ... shxant.jpg[/img]/img]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Im my opinion yep fraid so. Bent rear quarter, boot floor, light cluster, bumper and probably hatch too, at least, just from the picture.
Someone who was an un-insured immigrant with no driving licence did this to me in a CX I'd only owned 15 minutes a few years ago. the damage was similar. It was a write off.
My condolances, hope all people involved are OK.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

HHmmm, doesn't look good, please tell me that Vauxhall Coarse-hair didn't do that damage and walk away!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

More than likley. Girl at work same thing in a Rover 25 ('S' reg). Looked like new , one owner blah, blah and it's gone to the scapper in the sky. Got a mere £1800 back on it against current value. Sorry mate. On a slightly differnt note (kind of ambulance chaceing) You wouldn't be interested in a new car would you? The Xsara's up for sale, see my add in the for sale section there's picky as well. I'm open to very sensible offers.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Women in corsa was very apologetic and was quite upset when she realised to kids were in the car (3 yr old slept all the way through it) Me and Mrs F + 12 yr old daughter spent a couple of hours in nuneaton hospital feeling very very stiff.
I've got to do it...............F@CKIN GUTTED ARRRRRRRGH
Stu soz its got to be diesel and 4 doors i'm afraid, what really bugs me though is that i'll probably never get one as good as that again
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ooh now thats harsh.
If it had been me, I'd would got out the gone upto the old dear, took off her glasses, polished them, put them back on and said better?
Gutted for you mate, looks like a defo write off
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

What you rekon they will pay out? Just had a quick squint on evilbay and there are similar cars available for between 750 - 1500 quid. Various mileages and locations.
Hopefully something will be avaialable for you.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Normaly thats a write off, it will have damaged the floor pan it will cost over £4000 to repair (new rear panels, rear bumper, exaust back box, rejiging the boot floor, a new boot lid (hatch), rear light clusters and a respray).
Now because its not your fault you may even get the chance to have it repaired, if they offer this take it up it may be an old car but you will get a very good car back as everything that needs doing to it will be done.
other whise yopu will be looking at a pay off for the car (not much). get all your recepts together and any pictures and service history as this will make a diference to the amount you receve also if you get to buy the car back do so and i will pay you for it depending on what you want for it. long tearm i may beable to return the car back you in a new shell (R Reg metalic red shell alla V6 exclusive).
Andy
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

with regards to the car being re-built contact me if your interested i'm not looking at much but you may have to wait for it (unless you want to do it your self then your welcome to the V6 shell (its HA and i will leave that on the car).
Andy
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Friend of mine (A Citroen fitter) was selling an R Reg SX TD only a week ago. Want me to give him a call? He wanted £1k. Birmingham/Solihul, so not too far away.
If you want me to ask any details ian@usts.co.uk
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Having been in this situation, there are a few rules to observe:
NEVER EVER EVER accept the first offer from the other insurance company. It will be unrealisticly low. Insurance companies employ people specifically to drive down the cost of claims. Get adverts for similar models, and write strongly worded letters about needing to replace like for like, and this is how much it will cost. Over-estimate your claim amount. There will be a compromise somewhere.
DO NOT let them take the car away. They are not entitled to it, even after they pay out. As the claim is being made against the other persons insurance company, they have no claim to your car.
If the other insurance company start to get shirty, tell them that you need a replacement car right now, that you are going to hire one (similar spec to your car) and that they will be getting the bill. This usually gets clamis sorted out fast!
I know this sounds a bit harsh, but insurance companies are swines. A friend of mine works for one!
As ActivaV6uk said, it could well be possible to re-shell the car, given your fastidious maintainence. Well worth it I'd say. If you contact Citroen UK, they may well be selling off complete shells for cheap. I know Vauxhaull sell off their older ranges of shell for about £500 when they want to get rid of them.
All in all, Bad luck! Just don't let the insurance company walk all over you. As it was not your fault, you should be compensated to ensure that you don't end up any worse off.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thanks for the help/offers people but I,m going to have a think for a couple of days can't even bear to look at it the moment without feeling sick.
Just took some stuff out the boot and the floor is well gone, about 2 inches higher on the drivers side and the rear door only just about opens.
SH'T SH'T and SH'T again Apologies for the language
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Shame mate, glad you're all ok.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

thats the main thing, your ok as is every one else. alot of us have been ware you are now and it will take a long time to get over the initial shock then you'll probably want to kill something. keep us informed, and i hope that it resolves itself in your favour.
Andy
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Great isn't it, I took my Xantia out just today just to charge the battery and run the aircon, every time I slowed down to say I was staring in the mirror would not an understatement, there's no accounting for someones loss of concentration.
Hopefully a few beers tonight has softened the blow.