What did you do this weekend?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

What did you do this weekend?

Post by FDV »

I got very greasy fitting a new strut return pipe. Also got very stressed trying to fasten the clip that holds it, so used the shaped plate that goes round the back and used a trusty cable tie! Also tried Tom Sheppards method to grease the struts using the return pipes - it works!!
Rear brakes are going to be fun - the pins are seized solid! I bent a punch trying to hammer them out!
Also had to start this for the first time in a while long enough for it to raise to get it off the drive!
And sorted the rattly brake pads on this:
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Sounds familiar, I did the strut lube thing, failed to replace a brake flexi due to wrong part supplied (new ones ordered thanks GSF) raised the rear ride height a little and am now sadly involved in IKEA kitchen[}:)]
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I just dropped the oil on Xantia.
Ordered 2 new pine units & looked at a (newer less damp) Caravan.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Been all over the place this weekend. Took the girls to Trafford Park on Friday and resisted the tempation to go to GSF! Saturday, went over to Accrington to pick up the Ebay 16 Valve alloys, and today went to see Vanny on the Wirral to pick up a set of wheel bolts for the alloys. Phew! So that takes the BX to 144000 having covered 1000 miles since the engine went back in.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

And my got your car is sweet running Dave, really is a good example of what can be done!
Me, i spent Saturday fixing Andy Simpsons BX 16v along with Chris White. Its BX16v engine running Jenvy throttle bodies and Emerald ECU, my god it was sweet once it was working again! turns out a wire had fallen out of the ECU, and the throttle bodies needed resetting (was quite interesting actually). It's a stunning car!
Today washed my car, wrote a list of things that need doing and waited for Dave, then went back to my home (from the rents!)
thats it, boring really! Oh well, im building a Locost 7 next weekend!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

As a hint you need one of these to do the clips on the leak off pipes! (I usualy use a BIG pair of pliers, and a lot of swears!)
<center>Image
Image</center>
Can you see how easy a tool it is to make! One angle grinder is all that is required!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

So you show me this tool now. I struggled like an idiot when i did these on my old 16v.
I expect that the 17RD will need them doint too, Im glad i know now.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

oops, i found it a few weeks ago but about two days AFTER i put said pipe on my car!
I bled to get the last one on, but not any more!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

And my got your car is sweet running Dave, really is a good example of what can be done!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Cheers mate[:I] Yours looks sooo much cooler[8D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I can get those clips on and off, I use a pair of carpenters pincers.
There is a picture of the sort of thing I mean at http://www.angloamericantools.com/box12.html
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Changed timing belt and crankshaft oil seal on ZX.
You can't beat lying in the dirt with your hand up behind the starter motor trying to stick a rod into the flywheel while turning the engine with your other hand on a wheel. Should be an Olympic event.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Folks,
See also my item in "Hints and Tips", "BX Front Strut Return Pipe Repair".
Fitted a temperature gauge to the BXTD (LM35 chip and a Multimeter), this indicated temps of around 100C,checked with another chip was OK.
Suspect thermostat not fully opening, not in stock at GSF, should be in this Wednesday, together with a new fan switch.
Ho Hum...
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Sweared all over the C5...
Came from the "stealer" last wednesday, but i only had to use it for a bit.
Airbag problems, immobilizer problems (on the car, not the key)... it's scheduled to wednesday at the local stealer.
If this doesn't cure, i'll give it a 40kms ride to another dealer (belongs to the same firm where my Frontera used to be treated like a prince!) and hope this is fixed.
Seems like an earth problem...
Take care!
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

I used my BX to transport my wife and her granny to a graveyard...
(then back to their homes, of course[:D][:D])
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Drove to Fort William with 2 mountain bikes on the roof (160miles each way), almost have 1/4 tank of diesel left which is amazing considering the extra drag of the roofrack and bikes, whats even more amazing is the fact it only looses 10mph off the top speed fullyloaded with aforementiond bikes and rack.