bx leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroensue

bx leak

Post by citroensue »

hi everyone got a problem with my Hreg BX.It's leaking LHM fluid out of one of the pipes that goes to the pressure regulator(I think).We though it was the sealing rubber,and replaced it but to no avail.The leak is still there,if anything worse.I phoned citroen back to make sure the guy had given me the right part,which he said he had,but he said that if the new rubber doesn't fix it it's probably something wrong with the big unit which the pipe fits into(I think it's called the pressure regulator).I'd really appreciate any advice on this problem.Thanks,Sue.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

The pressure regulator may have a crack in it. Its more likely something to do with the pipe though and it may be most straight forward to replace the pipe.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The big pipes going into the top of the regulator work very hard, perhaps theres a small crack in one (the one from the pump is most likeley) that is where I wouls start from.
Good luck
Stewart
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't know which model of BX you have but if you have power steering you will also have flow divider adjacent to the pressure regulator. The bodies of both are substantial castings and themselves are unlikely to give problems. On the bottom of the regulator is a nylon cap (cylindrical) which houses a spring and the end of a valve and there can be some leakage from here - it may tighten or alternatively the seal underneath might need replacement (I think its an 'O' ring). The other possibility is that the accumulator seal is damaged and that its leaking from there.
The flow Divider is above the regulator when you look don the front of the engine and has 5 holes in the sides of it, 4 of which are caps held in place with steel rings. There are thin 'O' ring seals which have been known to leak. There is also an adjuster which unscrews (after looesening the locker) and has an 'O' ring seal.
Pipes can crack - they're cheap enough from Citroen and come nicely bent to fit.
It sounds obvious but the first thing to do is get it all clean and try and find the precise site of the leak. I have had a number of leaks over the years - one caused by the wrong sized seal (too small - there are 3 sizes and the large one is quite chunky - If you have a sample of each easy to match with the 3 sizes of pipes). Another was simply a loose pipe 0 the one going into the bottom of the regulator which has a tight curve in it and probaly hadn't aligned properly when I fitted it. I also had one under the engine chafe through - caused by a pipe clip on it, dripped despite the enormous pressure and went straight through the MOT!
Remember to support these cars properly before getting underneath - these cars CAN KILL!
jeremy