Xantia Gear Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

Xantia Gear Change

Post by ghostrider »

I drove my wife's 1.9td '97 for the first time in ages this week, gearchange is almost 2 handed [:(][:(][:(], a quick check showed 2 of the connecting rods to be very stiff, took them off removed rust and road c**p greased them put it all back together, better but still V stiff. Took rods off again and checked gearchange by operating the rod that comes out the rear of the box, managed to select gears no problem [:)][:)][:)], so it must be the linkage. lubed all the bits at the engine end, no real difference. So it must be either the ball pivot or the bolt pivot at the gear stick end. But how the hell do you get at it?? This one is fitted with a cat and there is an extra heat shield between the cat and the end of the gear stick, can you get it out wihout removing the whole exhaust? Also any idea how much new rods are as two of them have had the rubber mounts destroyed by the stiff action?
Pete
________
FERRARI F50 HISTORY
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Is there sufficient oil in the box? if the level is low the first things to run dry are the selector rods which AFAIK are at the top, that might cause your symptoms.
Stewart
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Hi Stewart, gearbox level was OK, I could operate the change easily enough just by pushing and pulling directly on the rod coming out of the box.
Pete
________
LUDOVICO SCARFIOTTI
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Perhaps some squirty grease or motorcycle chainlube with the straw attachment will get to where it needs to be if liberally blasted around under there, saves dismantling[:D]
Stewart
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Well it's fixed, I think it was just the whole linkage assembly needed re greasing, drill out rivets on intermediate heatshield and lubricated ball and pivot joint, took bell crank off cleaned it and greased it and it all goes nicely now... Thanks for your input Stewart. Now I know that this is astupid thing to say but this car has been brilliant, I've now had it 3 years and apart from oil and filter changes, cam belt, and some new tyres this is the only work that it has needed although I'm fairly sure the clutch is not long for this world......
Who says Cits are unreliable?
Pete
________
Fibromyalgia Forums
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ghostrider</i>

Well it's fixed, I think it was just the whole linkage assembly needed re greasing, drill out rivets on intermediate heatshield and lubricated ball and pivot joint, took bell crank off cleaned it and greased it and it all goes nicely now... Thanks for your input Stewart. Now I know that this is astupid thing to say but this car has been brilliant, I've now had it 3 years and apart from oil and filter changes, cam belt, and some new tyres this is the only work that it has needed although I'm fairly sure the clutch is not long for this world......
Who says Cits are unreliable?
Pete
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oddly enough, if they are serviced properly, they seem to behave!
Seems to me, as an outside observer, that a lot of problems we see discussed here are neglect-related, often by previous owners of those with the problems. Plus salt of course - not an issue where I live!
JohnW
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think its not as simple as neglect by previous owners - its that things like the gear linkage don't feature on anyone's service schedule - and so are compulsorily neglected in the much sought after 'Full service History' that so may look for when buying a car.
jeremy
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I'd go along with that Jeremy,mind you it is odd how these things tend to a problem on one car and not another, my BXs would never have suffered with this as the linkages were all so knackered that it wouldn't be able to seize [:D] [:D] [:D]. My xantia etate which is on an R plate but according to the RP number was made nearly a year before my wife's one and so presumably had stood in some field somewhere for ages would have been a prime candidate for this sort of trouble and yet it's OK ....strange. my BX estate always suffered with rear brake seizure despite hydraflush, new callipers, changed HC etc yet my wife's one was never a moments trouble, and mine was the one running around with half a tonne of tools in the back, so you also need to get to know each individual car
Pete
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
peter1138
My Cars:

Post by peter1138 »

So is there any easy way of greasing up the linkages without drilling bits out?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The trick suggested by oilyspanner worked for me. Get an aerosol of spray grease and squirt it into the gap between the heatshield and the floor. It stopped an irritating squeek on mine that always happened when going from 1st to 2nd.