Ax 1.5 diesel blue smoke problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Brigsy

Ax 1.5 diesel blue smoke problem

Post by Brigsy »

My ax has got problems, its started puffing blue smoke out of the exhaust under acceleration, gets worse under load, but seems to be running ok and starts up fine, its only done 61k miles aswell
Am i right in assuming the rings are worn? havent had chance to do a compression test yet, anything else it could be?
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

overfilled with oil?
howmuch oil is it burning?
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

I would change the oil and filter and check that the engine breather pipes are not clogged. I don't think your engine is turbocharged but if it is that could be a source of blue exhaust smoke if the turbo seals are leaking.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The AX diesel range did not come with turbo.
If you are sure it is BLUE smoke - then it is indeed engine oil that is burned - and it will come from the intake side.
Be sure to use a correct grade oil suitable for diesel engines - it would be stated on the oil bottle.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Its common on this engine!
Unless it's gone all of a sudden then it's a quick fix, you'll also found its very low on power and the ecconomy is likely to be lacking!
im not sure about exactly how it happens but its apparently the tappets/valve clearances, my mums had its valve clearances reset and the difference was amazing, it positively flew afterwards! Didnt cost much mostly labour i think!
BUT try the obvious things first as listed (air filter, oil filter etc)