BX GTi Sump bolts - torque wrench settings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JimW
My Cars:

BX GTi Sump bolts - torque wrench settings

Post by JimW »

My apologies for what has to be a pretty boring question...
I've just replaced the sump gasket on the BX GTi and I'm not sure about the figures Haynes give for the sump bolts.
My manual is the one with the GTi and TRS described in a supplement, it states 13.7 lbf ft - this seems pretty high for M7x1 bolts which (with 2 exceptions) all go straight into the aluminium alloy block.
Does anyone know if this is right?
Many thanks,
Jim.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

13.7 lb ft isn't very tight - have you got a torque wrench going this low? In fact I'd say it was just a smart pull on a normal length spanner of that size - not a long one. Be careful using sockets - bars meant for 20 mm nuts on these will do some damage!
You can get at all these bolts quite easily can't you - so do them up to what you feel comfortable with and if it leaks you can nip them up again. My guess is that the gasket will shrink after 1000 miles and you'll have to do that anyway.
jeremy
JimW
My Cars:

Post by JimW »

Thanks Jeremy,
My torque wrench goes right down to 10 lbf ft - which is what the bolts are at right now.
Yes - they are fairly easy to get at and checking/retightening at 1000 miles is a good suggestion.
Jim.