XUD lower Engine Mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

XUD lower Engine Mount

Post by Jon »

The round one that lives within the housing for the O/S driveshaft.
Has anyone ever changed one? Mine is as soft as cheese. I thought when I had the engine out next week, and the shaft out the way, I would have a go. The replacement is a metal disc with the rubber bit inside. Is it an inferance fit..does it need heat? I've only ever done one and then I replaced the entire mounting, not just the disc.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Hi jon,
Yes it is a very interfering fit!
You will be hard pushed to drift it out, and heat will set fire to the rubber. What i did was to remove the mount from the engine, put in a vice, take a hacksaw blade, thread it through the mount (with as much rubber cut out as possible) and then connect it to the hacksaw. Cut about a mm or two nice and perpendicular into the metal disc , and you will then have that space to compress the metal disc part of the old mount and drift it out. Dont get too handy though or else you will cut into the alu.
As haynes says "installation is a reversal of removal"!!! Reckon you might need a press to get it in straight, or a good vice with wide flat jaws. Keep tapping all the way round as you compress it.
Jon

Post by Jon »

(Gulp!)
I thank you for that, and will give it a go! I have these terrible visions of ovens and freezers and things trying to put the new one in!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

if your gonna stick it in the oven then cut the rubber out first! Having looked at these they dont seem very clever, i dont think you CAN press them out as the rubber will tear out before hand, and you cant just press the metal ring out as there is a lip on the mount bracket!
There is always the method of cut the rubber out (very easy to do, even if your not trying) then as suggested cut the ring. Other option is to weld a couple rings in with a mig welder and try to cool the thing and hope it will pop out. Dependant on corrosion you might find it simply goes pop and falls out, but my experience with the BX is that salt corrodes everything and very little wants to give up its hold!
Other option is a new mount!
And you'll need a press to get it back in (my local garage usually obliges!)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Jon
I did mine on my TD without removing anything except the yoke. I sawed through the outer ring with a hacksaw (full size one - the blade threads through the slot in the mount) and then drove it out.
I froze the new one to give a little more clearance, put a dab of grease on it and was able to tap it into place without much trouble.
Seemed easier than removing the mount, driveshaft, driveshaft bearing etc. In reality it wasn't very difficult and if I'd known that the method worked when I started I would have probably been much quicker.
Jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

>I thought when I had the engine out next week
Did I miss that discussion? What's up with it now - surely there can't be much left to fix / change that requires pulling the engine out???
Don't forget to change the Octopus while you've got the space....
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I've had this done twice now on diferent cars, drop into a pug/cit garage and give them £5 that normaly does it and you get the finished mount back in minutes :) (I know its the lazy way but honestly some things arent worth the time and effort).
Andy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I clamp the ally bracket holding it all in a strong vice, remove the rubber bit (normally rotted with oil) and using my no1 hammer and a small chisel peel the outer steel ring inwards, once the circle is deformed enough the bush drops out, i then grease the new one and press it into place using the same vice, easy!
Stewart
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Who else wishes they had a mini angle grinder that takes like 1" discs for those hard to reach areas!
Jeremy, i like the idea of your method, and i have a freezer in the garage :D mother will never know!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thought I was going to get the mount served up for supper covered in baked beans!
jeremy
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

vanny,
try dremel...[:D]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I've tried a dremel but i not usually have the tree to 7 months required to sit and cut through a 2mm piece of steel, nor enough spare discs! I find it just takes forever with having no torque what so ever! But if you know an attachment that works i'd be interested!
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Er, no. I also find the little blighter useless for anything other than manicures.[;)]
what about one of those electric hacksaws with the stubby 1" blade?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

IF i'm thinking about what your thinging about then yeah there not too bad (electric Jigsaw) and better as i have one of my own with metal blades in, and i can be quite accurate with them, problem is getting them near anything while its on the car is pretty much impossible!
(ps i finally made it to 500 posts!)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think Jon is talking about doing the job with the engine out of the car in which case a jigsaw would work and you could cut straight into the outer ring rather than obliquely with a hacksaw as you can't turn the blade in the slot.
jeremy