ZX - Girling self adjusters not working??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

ZX - Girling self adjusters not working??

Post by sooty »

I have to keep adjusting the rear brakes whenever the handbrake travel starts to get abit long (all most full travel).
When I remove the drums to adjust the adjusters manually, everything looks to be intact with the spring and flippers etc, I finally adjust the shoes through one of the wheelbolt holes for fine adjustment.
Any clues to what the problem may be?? [:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Could you have some form of heat siezing going on? After adjusting the shoes how's the hand brake travel any better?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You'll probably find that the little L shaped piece that makes the thing adjust, but is not actually fixed to the mechanism, is not there anymore. Cue a trip to GSF to relieve you of £40 for a new set....
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Once the adjustment is carried out there is little travel, as I fitted new cables last year. Setting the cables and adjustment by first fully adjusting the shoes, then placing the handbrake on the second click and adjust the cables till the drums start to drag.
I've just rechecked the rear brakes and they are Girling not Bendix. Every part of the adjuster is intact as it should be, also the adjuster cannot be turned backwards against the spring clip bit and everything is free and greased with Castrols white grease. So I don't see there is a heat sieze problem.
My previous cars (Fords) with Girling brakes have had the same problem, but my wifes car has Bosch brakes with no problems at all.
[;)]
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

I had the same problem but I have the Bendix system, I re filed the teeth and cleaned the adjusters up and they work fine now.
Maybe that helps.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Try bending the L shaped bit inwards so it touches the cog, worked for me. Also clean the adjuster up so its as free as it can be.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

I'm going to happily report that since replacing the Girling adjusters on my Xsara, they've been keeping the handbrake nice and tight for about six months.
Before replacement, one of the 'L-shaped bits' had come loose, fallen off, and got chewed up in the drum.
I tried running without it, but the adjuster would gradually wind itself back in over a few weeks, and my brake pedal travel would grow accordingly.
New adjusters were £32 from Citroen.