Xantia Activa rear suspention

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Francisco (406),
Yes, you're right. Citroen didn't serialise it because there was a deep degradation in comfort.
With HA2 they managed to make it much more comfortable, but, unlike what Andy says, it is not more comfortable than the straight HA2 ot the non-HA. The ride is much more stable, it's true, much less "waving" effect, but when the road is degradated, your body recieves more impact with the Activa suspension. And when cornering the discomfort gets even worst.
I've driven an Activa in good shape here in Lisbon where there are many corners and real nasty (degradated) streets. Every time you're cornering and the ground is in bad condition, you feel the agression in the stomach! And most of the time you're cornering in degradated roads. (hope the City Hall reads this... [;)]).
It is true that when driving straight it behaves "almost" like the non-Activa suspension, but even in that condition, the non-Activa "waving" smooths it better.
This is clear when you travel very long distances - you feel more tired with the Activa.
There'se no surprise here. Mercedes and BMW also have "almost Zero Body-roll" suspensions and they don't use them on their best cars.
Mercedes uses it on the CLS but not on the S class where the prime goal is comfort. Still, the S class is pneumatic and electronic, like the HA2 and the HA3+.
Now the final doubts are cleared when you get to the latest top of the top models from Mercedes and BMW: Maybach and the Rolls Royce Phantom.
In the Maybach, the tuning of the electronic management of the pneumatic suspension was altered to provide even more comfort than in class S, resulting that the car has more body-roll than the S class. Magic carpet ride, however, like in the DS. In the Phantom they were even more radical - removing the electronics!
FDV, I'm glad to see, from your A, B, C final points that you agree with me finding it dangerous and that it's not a good formula - half way between meat and fish.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

My 2p'orth...I have had an Activa for 18months now and the roadholding continues to amaze me. The problem lies, as has been stated, in the feel of the road. I never feel confident enough to take corners fast, but each time I enter a corner, I realise I could be going much faster.
The engine is a bit breathless, but with a bit of judicious boost increase, the mid-range performance can be pretty impressive. The 25mpg is less impressive however.
Mine has been very reliable apart from needing a new front Activa Ram. It is however starting to take longer for the STOP lights to go out, maybe a flush is called for.
All in all, great car with astonishing road holding, but dreadful ergonomics, esp compared to my old 406.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Here's the link regarding the Activa DS:
http://www.citroenet.org.uk/html/a/antigite.html
I had this vague idea about it being int the citroenet site...
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Actualy in a strait line the Activa is far better than ha as the anti roll bar is 1/2 the strenght of the ha when in a strait line therefor it takes bumps better as the force is not transferd to the road wheel on the othe side of the car...
I would sugest you take a long drive in an activa befor you say its harder to be in one over long distance, almost 400 miles in an activa non stop (bar refueling) between home and deep scotland we did it in one trip and were both more than comfortable. generaly we have found that all types of passengers find the activa easyer to sit in because your not constantly moving your hips and back to keep your self comfortably upright in the car.
Difernt cars suite difernt people, I know as much as I loved my BX estate I wouldnt go back to it but again I dont like the chioce of engine in the UK activa which is why I'm doing something about it. When I drove my first activa I did about 150 miles and when I got home I really wished it was longer, partly because the wife had had problems keeping up in the rover (and boy did i hear about it) but mostly because it was so much fun.
Andy
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

I am amazed at the amount of what seems to be uninformed contribution on this topic. Activa is more complex than non-activa, but definitely not beyond the comprehension of a competent and interested mechanic - you just have to find one.
The comment "Each time I enter a corner I know I could be going faster" has more to do with the Activa's stability and reassurance on the way into the corner and less to do with lack of feel. I've been driving mine for seven years now and anything else feels like it is swaying like a double-decker bus.
My guess is that dirt, air or gas is the cause of the original bizarre behaviour. A few rounds of citrobics would be worthwhile before undertaking anything that costs or gets your hands dirty. I am also pretty sure that a search here will drag up some useful information.
The 30 seconds? Getting all the Activa system up to pressure does take longer of course.
And finally, passenger comfort? No competition. Activa passengers sleep the journey away in peace and arrive refreshed. Same passengers, same journey, non-Activa, [xx(][xx(]
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Hi To all,
There are obviously many contradictory feelings regarding the Activas.
My experience with citroens and Activas in general is that
1. The car transmits very well if its on the limit or not, provided you are driving on dry roads. Water does tend to make her slide easily.
2. The handling in general is superb. The car is, to me, a very exciting car to drive. It really is pleasurefull.
3. The car is not as soft as other Xantias. This is true!
4. The suspension sofistication.
Well, I remember very well when electrical windows became common on car in Portugal some 15 years ago. Back then, they were totally new technology and most mechanics had no clue as to how they work, and much less clues as to how to fix them.
When diesel cars became popular in Portugal, somewhere 10 years ago, we clearly had too less diesel mechanics around. Diesel engines continued a mystery in many aspects for a long time. Even today simple problems with TDi engines are a headache.
Activa suspension being something new is therefore a problem too. But the main reason is not the technical challenge. It´s just that mechanics dont give a ****. They dont know the system and are also not interested in knowing. And I dont blame them. How many Activas are there?
Even Citroen mchanics are usully awfull. Hey...lets face it, how come there are so many DIY guys with citroens(like myself) ???
Thunderbird: You are invited to try my avtiva...ver para crer!
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Dear Rostami,
thanks for the kind envitation! We must think about that, but first you must fix that problem. I fear for my bones... [:D]
Boa sorte! ('good luck' in portuguese)
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

Some good points here. Have to say the comments that an Activa is as smooth or smoother than a non HA or HA2 car baffles me a bit; the Activa has been setup stiffer!
I love the cars, the roadholding is awesome as is grip in the dry considering its weight and size. Handling can be let down by a lack of feel which std Xantias suffer from even more.
Wish they'd put a good engine in it! (in the UK anway!)
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I'll let you have a ride on my V6 if you let me take a ride on your Activa...[:D]
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

So, Francisco, I see you're having a hard time selling the 406 V6. If it was a coupé it would be a lot easier...
FDV, those who said the Activa is more comfortable were probably kidding with us. This is a point where it's impossible to argue - there's only one truth. If both Activa and non-Activa in good shape, it's a day and night difference. That's my experience, citroen's experience and even the major french magazines gave the Activa a low note on comfort when comparing it with a BMW 328, if I remember!
Concerning the reliability, every official Citroen dealer in town said I was lucky for not having an Activa... Yes, they're ignorant for not knowing how to handle it, but they´re the only ones around...
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

Very true.
Could be worse though, you could have a BMW! Or a Merc. Or a Ford!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Yes, they're ignorant <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In EVERY aspect!!!![:P] You can bet your house on that! (but bet the dog's house on the safe side)
Yup, the V6 is still in the garage... Oh, well.
BTW, T-Bird, they were kinda OK in Sacavém (kinda...)[;)]
I apologise for this off-topic bit...
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>

That's my experience, citroen's experience and even the major french magazines gave the Activa a low note on comfort when comparing it with a BMW 328, if I remember!
Concerning the reliability, every official Citroen dealer in town said I was lucky for not having an Activa... Yes, they're ignorant for not knowing how to handle it, but they´re the only ones around...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oh please - anything is luxury compared with a BMW or any German car. I travelled one way in my son's AX[:D][:D], then the other way in my mates Merc[:p][:p]. I'll take tha AX any day. The Merc (or a BMW) is like riding on a brick without springs.
OK so the Activa is stiffer than my dear old BX. But the seating and the handling more than compensate.
But yes, they are more of a challenge when they go wrong. Like I said above, you need to find a mechanic who is interested and competent. The head honcho at the Citroen garage near me has one, and one of his workers just loves to have a go - and has the brains and enthusiasm to cope.