Xantia Activa rear suspention

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rostami
My Cars:

Xantia Activa rear suspention

Post by Rostami »

Hi to all,
I have a very irritating problem with my Activa rear.
After starting the engine and waiting the usual half a minute, the "STOP" light goes out. Then the rear slowly starts to rise and suddenly the whole rear axel just falls, as if the rear suspention totally loses preassure. The rear eventually rises again and stays up most of the time, although sometines when stuck in traffic jams the rear does fall.
has anybody had a similar problem before?
The cars accumulator, SC.CAR front and front "normal" spheres are new.
I am not sure about the anti-sink SC.MAC... Could the anti-sink valve cause this?
All ideias are truely appreciated!
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">After starting the engine and waiting the usual half a minute, the "STOP" light goes out.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Half a minute is "an eternity".
My Xantia "STOP" lisght went out in about 10 seconds. After changing LHM and cleaning the filters it goes out in just 3 secs!
With 30 secs, I would suggest Hydraflush - there may be some blocked links.
Concerning spheres recharge/replacement, I believe the best solution will be to recharge/replace them all. Not cheap, but the car will provide the best comfort and truly balanced handling.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Thunderbird...
WAre you in Portugal too?
:)
Which part?
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Yes and you are about to find that the back wont come up at all eventualy, have you also found that the rear suspension seems harder than it should be?
my 2.1 project car sufferd(s) with this problem and the rear end eventualy wont come up or if it does it stays up at full height. I've not fixed the problme yet as the car has no engine at the moment as the 2.1 is still being repaired (its and activa in case you were wondering or didnt already know.).
I was going to bring this issue up on activanet.co.uk but havnet had time yet to look at the rear end of the car. one of the thoughts that has been floating around is that the balljoints on the arb are seized and this is addint to the problem (there are 3 ball joints and 1 bush on the back of the activa for those of you have never seen one).
Andy
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I live in Lisbon, the capital of Europe.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Lisbon? Capital of europe second to the nation Porto!!!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Fellas, doesnt' the activa have anti-sink?
Bem-vindo!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Now come on 406...
Are you throwing down (deitar abaixo!) on MY activa?
It does have the so-called anti-sink which prevents it from sinkling overnight...
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Sorry, passed the anti-sink bit.
I would go for T-Bird, as far as cleaning of the circuit is concerned - 30seconds?!.
And would also check out past posts about the anti-sink valve and sphere. Seems, from what i've read, normal for the car to drop, although droping twice is abnormal.
Read on the forum "brother". You'll learn a lot!
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

Check the droplink on the opposite side of the anti roll bar to the ram. You might find that it is suffering from a seized ball joint as the Activa's often do because of the type of pressures exerted on them. The system pressures up when started, and when it feels like normal height, the joint gives way and moves, causing the back end to jolt and sit at the wrong height. Almost like if you had it on normal height, and moved the lever to low while applying strong pressure on the brakes. When you release that pressure, the back end would drop suddenly. Its a similar situation here I reckon.
Could be wrong though!
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

That is what I think is happening to main it also explains the rough ride in drive.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I have also considered an Activa in times, but advised members (like Tom) opened my eyes and let me see I would be getting in trouble...
Meanwhile, I've met a few Activa drivers that have in common the memories of the nightmares they had with the suspension of those cars.
These are the cruel facts:
- The Activa suspension is too complex, even for Citroen authorized mechanics. [:0]
- Reliability is really bad, if compared with the traditional HP suspension. Expect it to go wrong on holidays and where less desired... [xx(] [:(!]
- Many times it is very difficult to find the origin of the problem. [:(] [?]
- Citroen HP users are person that usually appreciate the ultimate ride comfort, and Activa is not smooth enough, even if in good condition. [V]
- Most car owners want their cars to work as expected most of the times. Activa suspension doesn't work as expected most of the times. [B)] [xx(]
- Since Xantias have no ESP, and the Activa suspension transmits no sensations at all to the driver, you never know where you're crossing the limits, especially in wet or dirty ground. Therefore, it gets dangerous. [:0] [B)]
Rostami, don't burn more money - get rid of it. This is my advise.
Citroen realized the Activa as initially comercialized was not a good idea and did not replicated it on the C5, even with ESP available. Guess the reasons behind this decision... [:D]
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

The Activa system does transmit information to the driver, it actually allows a certain amount of role when the system reaches its limit, also the systems handling when it starts to slide is like a 4x4 you start to get very controlled sideways drift with a lot of tire noise towards the limits of driving (at this point you will also be using you arms to keep you in your seat so you would be very stupid to push it any further..). when on wet and dirty ground the car can be felt to slide slightly (wet polished manhole cover are a common one) the grip from an Activa is more than that of any other Citroen and therefore common sence bust be applied, driving at 60+ on wet days round country lanes is dangerous in any car. To my surprise we found that over the winter the car is exceptionally sure footed in the snow too (the wife is from NY and there snow is a real issue unlike the 5 inch maximum we get here, because of her experience my whole family had her taxiing people around the Cheshire area.
Reliability is ensured by servicing, most Activa owners I know have now owned more than one, not normally something shown by people who have found a car unreliable.
Problem solving with the Activa has always been difficult (it’s a one off system), Citroen actually have a list of problems and causes in there manual this includes things like the cars leaning one way when parked and also describes how to solve them. By talking to other owners (i.e. on here and other forums) is a good way to fast track fixing a problem? you have to bare in mind that your driving something a bit different and complex, not fixing problems as they occur is not the way to go with these cars but many people have had fun and trouble free driving with there cars.
each person when they buy a car has to decide what they want form it, I’m lucky enough to have access to lots of Citroens (its a family and friends thing) and for my wife and I its suspension and ride is better than the non ha and ha suspension systems it is in fact a different feeling altogether and with very large bumps you do lose some of the magic carpet feeling but over smaller bumps the systems is better than a perfectly working (18 seconds front ground to full up, 5 seconds to down and new spheres all round) non ha car, and in all honestly living in England we don’t really have that many craters, but plenty of winding roads.
If you like the Activa fix it and drive it, you will have been driving the car day to day and if there is nothing else wrong with it then its worth keeping.
Andy
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Thunderbird completely here. The Activa is one of the most advanced Citroens created, a car that pushed the boundarys of what was normal (they were developing it since 1961 I think!), just like the 2CV, Traction and DS many years before.
The system is not too complex. I have a good friend with one of these cars, which has been taken to 2 Citroen mechanics. Both of which were happy to work on the car, the second trip involving renewing the bush on the rear active ram (just like the bush in a shock absorber). The system is essentially the std Hydractive II system commonly found on Xantias with the addition of the SCCARS system. Its certainly no less reliable. In my experience Xantia's are not reliable cars, but the Activa is certainly no worse. The Activa I see has covered 137,000 miles, with all major components original. It passed the MOT first time last year and works exactly as it should.
The main problem here is the fact most owners see some little traits of the cars and assume its a problem. Like when you could be sat stationary at the lights, and the car is dipping and rising for no reason! This is actually completely normal for these cars (the early cars type of pump affected it).
The Activa does have a firmer ride than normal Xantias, which aren't exactly smooth anyway. This is actaully because Citroen altered the ride to be like this. The system cannot physically affect ride smoothness (except when cornering). Citroen felt that a car which rode smoothly yet had zero roll tolerance would be a bit un-nerving and weird. The suspension was stiffened to give a sportier ride to be more in keeping with the cars purpose. Not that the hydropneumatic system would ever feel really sporty in the same sense as a sprung car.
The Activa system always works if its in good running order. Unless the ECU threw a funny, which is rare to be fair then the system is very consistant.
I would agree to an extent about the lack of communication to the driver however. Xantias are very dead to drive anyway (yet to drive a V6 however!), which is to be expected for a car setup for comfort. To say the car is dangerous would be completely unjustified however, the car is far more safe handling and grip wise than most other cars that size. I've had an incident in the car where someone pulled out on me as I was travelling along a dual carriageway at 70 (ish!). I had to swerve hard to avoid collision and in pretty much any other "normal" car including my BX 16v which feels like a boat compared with one of these, I'd have hit the moron. But because of the awesome grip, I swung around the car and carried on after making my anger known.
To say the thought it was a bad idea afterward doesn't explain the next generation of the system due be to used on the C6?
I'll be honest I don't own an Activa, but not for any of the reasons stated. My reasons:
A) The 2.0 Turbo engine maybe smooth, but it is also breathless and uninspiring. It is also very thirsty, acceptable on a 200bhp, sweet sounding V6, not so much on an old iron blocked XU with a little turbo!
B) I'd almost certainly die in it, trying to take a bend at 850mph.
C) The car isn't quite quick enough again to justify the running costs, which are purely down to the engine. You could get diesel Activa's on the continent, perfect to save money but the harder ride and sporty handling isn't really required in an oil burner.
and finally .....D) I love my BX 16v too much to replace it!
Not a rant, I appreciate everyone has an opinion. This was mine.
Cheers
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I apologize for making this addendum, but FDV is right about the age of the Activa concept.
I've seen pictures on the net (don't recall the site), where a DS was compared on the same track with a primitive - if we can call primitive to such a car - Activa DS. Much likewise a Xantia and an Activa were compared when the concept first saw it's official daylight for the press.
Cheers!