What replacement for a ZX?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mipster
My Cars:

What replacement for a ZX?

Post by mipster »

My Wife's ZX has been written off. Insurance company offered £1350 which for a 1.9D with 176,000mls and not in perfect nick isn't bad.
Bonus for me is that I was waitng for warmer weather to change a driveshaft.
So we've got about 2K to spend on a replacement.
Must be newer.
Diesel big plus.
no bigger than a zx.
Any thoughts people?
cheers,
mipster
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If you only want another Citroen, and a ZX sized one at that, then its got to be another ZX but you would struggle to spend £2000 on one!!
If you are not so bothered about having a Citroen badge, then there's a huge amount of choice, from virtually every big manufacturer, for that money.
Ford, Rover, Vauxhall, fiat, renault, the list goes on and on........
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

<i>If you only want another Citroen, and a ZX sized one at that, then its got to be another ZX but you would struggle to spend £2000 on one!!
If you are not so bothered about having a Citroen badge, then there's a huge amount of choice, from virtually every big manufacturer, for that money.
Ford, Rover, Vauxhall, fiat, renault, the list goes on and on........</i>
hence my problem, I'm guilty of being citroen-centric and the thought of trying to chose from another make just seems like hard work. I'm looking out for an early xsara but 2K only gets a petrol, 3K is more like it for a diesel.
Have found a 49K R reg 1.9D zx for £1500, might be worth a look since haggling down would give a replacement for not much more cash but with a lot less milage.
mipster
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Eaargh! Xsara's are horrible!
Could always go up market and get a Peugeot 306 DTurbo? I'm selling mine for about £2k although I may have a sale lined up so you know I'm not just saying it to try and get a sale! I think this is reflective of the market. The 306 has the advantage of TWO windscreen wipers, more attractive looks (controversial!) and you don't keep on finding your parcel shelf straps hanging out the back of the boot! Cannot deny that a ZX is much better value for money though.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i know you said no bigger than a zx but this is advertised on the Yahoo Xantia forum
Hello,
I am emigrating and forced to sell my Xantia HDI.
Registered in April 2000.
It has done 117k miles mainly on motorway. I have been commuting
from Essex to Cambridge for 3 years and that has built up the mileage.
The drivers side front electric window regulator is broken (new
one is about £80), apart from that it is in ok condition. There are
couple of imperfections in the paintwork but no major dents or sratches.
Located in Essex, UK.
The car is available 22nd April, might be available earlier.
Price £1500 (only)
Drop me an email if interested. This is a good chance to upgrade
from 1.9TD :)
Cheers, Kimmo
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Eaargh! Xsara's are horrible!
Cheers mate, thats made me feel... realy terible now. And there was my pride and joy going with out any problems, smoothest ride in ages of any car I've driven (with regular suspension), no electrical problems, nothing. I feel well and truley deflated.[:(]
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

<i>i know you said no bigger than a zx but this is advertised on the Yahoo Xantia forum</i>
That's interting but only because I'm looking at replacing my xantia as well, I'm after an estate though.
After talking it over last night we've decided to replace the ZX with a slightly newer (R or S reg) diesel with less that 100,000 on the clock. It seems that for values for money it is hard to beat the ZX!
mipster
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Make sure the ZX comes with a turbo attached. Much more smiles....!
£2k should buy the best one going that will give many years service if cared for. There have been a few nice looking ones on e-bay recently, but none near me (I have half an eye out for a really good replacement for our ZX TD).
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

On the cost front, I got a 99 T plate Xsara HDi for £2100 with 84k on the clock owned by a priest (sounded too good to be true!) at auction. At the time you were looking at about a grand more in autotrader. [:D]
Im happy with it, over the weekend I made a 360 mile journey to Oxford and back- no stopping on the motorway, very comfortable drive in my opinion and didnt feel the need to stop due to aching back etc.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

pah forget the oil burner's & buy a zx 16v! :D the money you've saved can go on fuel or a gas conversion!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I'm going to get flamed for this but how about a Pug 306. It's a ZX underneath so you won't feel too bad buying one!
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

with £1350 you could buy another zx! Do it, you know you want to!!
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Would have said that I'd choose a ZX over a 306 on the basis of the huge price difference that used to exsist between the two plus the interior of the 306 is naffer than the ZX. However the price difference seems to be much less of late, at least for the Mk1 306. Did the 306 have passive rear wheel steering?
After five years of great service Im planning to replace my ZX this year, either ZX volcane (poss.TD) or Xsara Coupe (esp in met gold).
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Mipster - early petrol Xsaras are dropping below the £1,000 mark here in West Yorkshire, not much more for a diesel.
Mine's solid as a rock, no squeaks, rattles, and cheap to run just like the ZX.
And you can't beat all the admiring glances it attracts - as fellow Xsara boy Stuart McB will testify!
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

You're right,
early Xsaras are cheap (don't fancy a 1.4 petrol though).
I've found 2 1.9TD's on 80,000 miles for aroung £1800 which I'll take a look at this weekend
Mark.