U25 Diesel Engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

U25 Diesel Engine

Post by fastandfurryous »

I wonder if anyone can help me on this one. I have a Talbot express van, which is near identical to a Citroen C25. It uses a U25 2.5 litre diesel engine.
I'm assuming that this is the same engine as was fitted to the Citroen CX diesel models, and if so, if it was the same gearbox, as the auxiliary drive is somewhat intertwined with the gearbox. I'm hoping that there may be a more "car like" set of gear ratios that I can fit, (CX ones?) as at the moment it has a ludicrously low 1st gear, and is revving its t*ts off at 70 on the motorway. I know this is done on purpose for carrying heavy loads, but I tend to do quite long distances, so a lower final drive ration, giving a raise in overall gearing would be very beneficial.
I'm also intrugied with the design of the engine. Cambelt driven camshaft, but in the block, with pushrods and ohv. The swirl chambers and valves look very much like an XUD engine, just all somewhat larger. Anyone know anything about the history of this engine? It seems very different from the Peugeot 2.1/2.3/2.5 series of a similar vintage.
Thanks