Grinding or rumbling from steering wheel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Grinding or rumbling from steering wheel

Post by JamesQB »

Hi everyone,
Perhaps someone could help diagnose a couple of problems with a turbo diesel Xantia N reg please?
When stationary or moving, but worse I think shortly after first starting the car and going somewhere, turning the steering wheel produces a kind of grumbling, grinding, rumbling type noise which you can even feel in your feet in the passenger side but seems to be felt mainly on the steering wheel. Like a very rapid thumping oscillation.
Also noticed the brake pedal juddering visibly when it is just pushed in a bit whilst car is stationary, accompanied by a juddering noise to match the visible movement.
Any ideas what this could all be?
Other thing is 5th gear goes in when driving but grinds and pops straight back out, just like you'd expect if you'd only half-pushed a gear in - it grinds, rumbles and pushes back out. No matter how hard you ram it in, it pops straight back out, so no 5th gear in the car at the moment. Sticking it into reverse makes it crunch and grind as well, as though the clutch hasn't disengaged properly. All other gears are fine and quiet.
Now it's over to you.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Could be air in the system. I had a similar type of thing just before the pump packed up!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Not the accumulator sphere shot by any chance??
Alan S
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Engine mount collapsed? - 3 of them - one on top of the gearbox (under battery on Bx), one by cambelt and one at back of engine visible from underneath.
Jeremy