Smoothest Cit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DoubleChevron wrote:Hi Guys,
DS .... it is the smoothest hands down, no comparison. Especially the early ones.
SM .... Next best ... Unfortunatly I've never driven one.
GS .... Next smoothest, quite incredible little car.
CX series I --Quite good, but no DS
CX series II --Firmer again, but still vastly better than cars with crappy struts.
Xantia Hydractive --Dumb as it sounds, I rate this as a better ride than my BX19tri.
Next is the BX ... kinda average ride comfort, not a patch on the eearly cars. Much better than it's competition at the time.
Xantia non hydractive ... Why did they bother with the hydraulics, ride quite lumpy, so firmly tied down it feels like the hydractive model stuck in hard mode. Is it smoother than it's competition ??
We have the XM and C5 of course, but i can't comment on what I haven't driven. I don't have high hopes for them.
seeya,
Shane L.
I like the general ordering of your list a lot, however I would make a couple of small changes - in my opinion the Series 1 CX (My Dad has a 1978 CX2400) rides considerably better than a GS, both me and my Dad owned GS's for many years, and he had his one from new, and yet the second hand CX he bought about 7 years ago definately rides better, once spheres etc were brought up to scratch.

I put this down to two things - the first is a lot more suspension travel at the front, (nearly 50% more from memory) and as nice as the geometry design of the GS is, (and the low unsprung weight) it simply doesn't have enough suspension travel at the front, its only about the same as a Xantia. (About 12cm including limit stop compression)

The CX will fly over those large broad backed speed bumps at 50 - 70Km/hr as if there were hardly there while both the GS and Xantia will bottom the suspension in spectacular fashion at anything more than about 30Km/hr on the same bumps.

The other difference is the isolation from harsh bumps such as potholes etc is vastly better on the CX than the GS because the entire suspension subchassis system is isolated from the body with rubber bushings, while on the GS only the rear suspension has this isolation, the front suspension chassis is bolted directly onto the body including near the footwells, which transmits a lot of vibration to the passengers.

So while the GS rides really well 90% of the time, certain types of harsh bumps can feel very harsh indeed. (This is even specifically commented on in one of the very first car mag reviews of the GS when it came out)

Another thing that makes the isolation of the CX quite noticable is when you start tweaking the sphere damper bypass holes to firm up the damping a bit - as soon as you try to firm the damping in the front of a GS the ride becomes very rumbly, almost harsh, due to the direct vibration transmition, whereas in the CX you can firm up the damping quite a bit from standard without any significant increase in road rumble due to the isolation of the bushings.

It also goes without saying that the CX rolls a lot less than a GS, and has a wider wheel track and much lower centre of gravity, so is definately superior in terms of handling, despite being a much heavier car.

As for DS vs SM, I've never driven either, (looked at a few SM's up close though :D ) but my Dad who worked on DS's for a living when they were a new thing has driven an SM on a couple of occasions and claims that the SM rides better, even though its not quite as softly damped.

The SM suspension is basically identical to the DS with two changes - one is the front suspension arms have been swapped from left to right - on a DS the parallel arm pivots are BEHIND the wheel, so they are effectively leading parallel arms, while in the SM they basically swapped the left and right side suspension chassis so that the arm pivots are IN FRONT of the wheels, thus forming curved parallel trailing arms.

In my mind this would give a better ride than leading arms, and Citroen must have thought so too to go to all the trouble of doing that when it would make the car longer and require reworking the suspension chassis to body assembly to match.

The other difference is the damping is tuned a bit firmer (obviously) but I believe the springing rate is not too different, so in terms of roll and damping it is probably fairly similar to a CX. So think of a car with DS mechanicals and CX tuning. :)

Interesting your comments on the Xantia, it sounds almost as if the standard model Xantia you drove had something wrong with it, as I have a Hydractive 2 model and Dad has a standard model, and despite all the work and diagnosis I've done recently, the sad fact is that the standard model simply rides better than the Hydractive 2. :cry: I find the hard mode TOO hard (despite the spheres being ok) such that the car is almost bouncing on the tires at the front in hard cornering due to lack of suspension movement, while the soft mode is too soft and uncontrolled.

By comparison the standard model has nicely balanced damping rates such that the ride is good and handling is fairly good also, even though it rolls a little bit more than the HA2 model.

Neither Xantia holds a candle to the GS or CX or any of the earlier models however, and both still have a somewhat "fidgety" ride, mine more so than Dads, which I attribute to excessive friction in the movement of the McPherson struts vs the free and easy movement of the parallel arms in the GS/CX. (The fact that greasing the struts makes a huge but only temporary improvement in the ride quality and fidgeting/harshness seems to confirm this)

I recently had the oportunity to buy a 1988 Series II CX 2500 Gti in nearly perfect condition, and even though it was more expensive than the Xantia I ended up getting I gave it serious consideration, thats how much I rate the CX. (Also like the styling, the same can't be said for some of the earlier Citroen's :) ) In the end though I decided it was just too expensive, so passed on it. Would dearly love to have a Series II turbo like yours Shane, but they are almost non existant here and I couldn't afford the ones that are around if I did find one. :P

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

With your Xantia .... Keep on searching ... It doesn't sound right.

One of the front Hydractive sphere's recenlty died on mine, so I screwed on some GS spheres that are at 50% pressure. It's ride comfort is vastly superior to my CX GTi Turbo, it has a small amount of initial bodyroll, that doesn't get any worst. The tyres under the nose of the Xantia are 205/50 15" (ie: are low profile and need quite a bit of air). Yet it rides far better than my CX with new rear arms bearings, new ball joints/bushes upfront and gassed spheres. The CX is quite firm, almost harsh by Citroen standard over small bumps (the 215/55 16" rubber probably doesn't help ........ But hey it is a GTi Turbo). It's handling is vastly superior to a standard CX, however the ride quality is not even close.

The best driving CX I've driven is the old '76 deisel wagon ... The daravi is MUCH better than the later cars (it appear to have a much stronger centering action so doesn't sit a few millimeter either side of center if you move the steering wheel). It's ride quality is outstanding (DS sized spheres under the back and big wheelbase).

I think they went to all the effort of changing the trailing rear arms on the SM, not for ride comfort, but so they could fit the V6 in .... The DS engine bay is quite narrow, and you can fit many engines in there (that's why you never really hear of V6 DS conversions).

I still rate the GS as the best riding/handling comprimise of any *small* car I've driven.

We may all look upon the DS as the "king of ride comfort", however I'm sure a lot of the people here that haven't driven them would be terrified and shocked at the bodyroll (I like it.... Especially when it's acompanied by terrified screams of passengers as I 'sedately' travel around :twisted: :mrgreen: )

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DoubleChevron wrote:With your Xantia .... Keep on searching ... It doesn't sound right.
I'm sure its not right, but it really has me scratching my head trying to solve its ride problems... and I'm no newbie to Citroen suspension :wink:
One of the front Hydractive sphere's recenlty died on mine, so I screwed on some GS spheres that are at 50% pressure. It's ride comfort is vastly superior to my CX GTi Turbo, it has a small amount of initial bodyroll, that doesn't get any worst.
It's ride comfort is better than your CX Turbo with the half pressure GS spheres or with the standard spheres ? Bear in mind that the damper bypass hole in a front GS sphere is 1.65mm while the Xantia front Hydractive spheres are 0.7mm, a WORLD of difference.

I'm beginning to seriously question the wisdom of such small holes and I'm considering drilling them out to about 1mm as I have a spare pair of front spheres.

On my Dad's non Hydractive Xantia we actually reduced the front sphere bypass holes from the standard 1.5mm (which we felt was a bit underdamped and floaty) to 1.2mm and they now have no overshoot in the rebound and vastly better cornering and control, (also reduced roll) but still an acceptably smooth ride, very little loss in ride quality actually, so I think there is quite a bit of room to increase the hole size to say 1mm and still keep it adequately firm in the hard mode without being HARSH which 0.7mm seems to give.
The tyres under the nose of the Xantia are 205/50 15" (ie: are low profile and need quite a bit of air). Yet it rides far better than my CX with new rear arms bearings, new ball joints/bushes upfront and gassed spheres.
Can you tell me what brand and tread tyres they are ? And what pressure you're running them at ?

Mine currently has 185/65 R15 of some unknown crappy brand on them and they're getting a bit bald around the edge, (I also notice a bit of understeer on hard cornering) so as well as replacing them with a decent brand like Michelin I was looking at changing the size to 205/55 R15, but was a little bit concerned that the wider lower profile would make the ride even worse than it is now. Any comments on that ?

My Dad's Xantia has 195/60 R15's on the front and it has vastly more positive cornering and almost no understeer, despite significantly more body roll. (No HA2)
The CX is quite firm, almost harsh by Citroen standard over small bumps (the 215/55 16" rubber probably doesn't help ........ But hey it is a GTi Turbo). It's handling is vastly superior to a standard CX, however the ride quality is not even close.
Ok, well I've only ever driven "standard" model CX's which have a relatively soft ride and I found the ride excellent, and despite copious body roll compared to a Xantia I found the handling surprisingly good with virtually no understeer and very responsive turn in. I can quite believe that the Turbo model has a much harder ride, but thats the price you pay for the handling...
The best driving CX I've driven is the old '76 deisel wagon ... The daravi is MUCH better than the later cars (it appear to have a much stronger centering action so doesn't sit a few millimeter either side of center if you move the steering wheel). It's ride quality is outstanding (DS sized spheres under the back and big wheelbase).
More likely one of them just had a slightly worn T valve in the steering unit - when they get a bit of wear in them you get a small dead band in the middle of the steering range. My Dad's CX has that problem, and its a '78. It's not bad enough to warrant pulling the whole thing to pieces to do something about it however.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

It's ride comfort is better than your CX Turbo with the half pressure GS spheres or with the standard spheres ? Bear in mind that the damper bypass hole in a front GS sphere is 1.65mm while the Xantia front Hydractive spheres are 0.7mm, a WORLD of difference.

--It's much better than the CX with both GS and hydractive spheres on the front. Actually the GS sphere's impact the handling very little, but do take the slightly 'jittery' feel of minor bumps away. No I would never consider drilling the spheres as it's still very good with standard HA2 spheres.

I'm beginning to seriously question the wisdom of such small holes and I'm considering drilling them out to about 1mm as I have a spare pair of front spheres.

--Do you know anyone else with a Xantia Hydractive ?? Yours sounds like:

-- the front struts are binding
-- the soft mode isn't kicking it at the front (or your center sphere is flat)

On my Dad's non Hydractive Xantia we actually reduced the front sphere bypass holes from the standard 1.5mm (which we felt was a bit underdamped and floaty) to 1.2mm and they now have no overshoot in the rebound and vastly better cornering and control, (also reduced roll) but still an acceptably smooth ride, very little loss in ride quality actually, so I think there is quite a bit of room to increase the hole size to say 1mm and still keep it adequately firm in the hard mode without being HARSH which 0.7mm seems to give.

--I've only driven one standard xantia SX, it had regassed spheres, I found it very harsh for ride comfort and quite dissapointing.

Can you tell me what brand and tread tyres they are ? And what pressure you're running them at ?

--They are japanesse made Toyo's. The car should as standard have 195/55 15" ..... I went one size lower and wider as they were easier to get. The car handles extremelly well on them. The ride quality is still very good, however if your car is 'crashing' in the front end, no doubt they will make the ride worst :(

Ok, well I've only ever driven "standard" model CX's which have a relatively soft ride and I found the ride excellent, and despite copious body roll compared to a Xantia I found the handling surprisingly good with virtually no understeer and very responsive turn in. I can quite believe that the Turbo model has a much harder ride, but thats the price you pay for the handling...

--It will be the low profile tyres and massive anti-roll bars under it. If it was as soft an early series I CX it'd be up 'n' down under power at the front & back all the time. In some ways I like the earlier CX C-matics better.... Infact 1 of each would be perfect !

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

--It's much better than the CX with both GS and hydractive spheres on the front. Actually the GS sphere's impact the handling very little, but do take the slightly 'jittery' feel of minor bumps away. No I would never consider drilling the spheres as it's still very good with standard HA2 spheres.
It's the "fidgeting" on small bumps that I find most annoying. Also rough surfaces like potholes are quite harsh
--Do you know anyone else with a Xantia Hydractive ?? Yours sounds like:

-- the front struts are binding
-- the soft mode isn't kicking it at the front (or your center sphere is flat)
No unfortunately I don't know anybody else with one, nor have I had the chance to drive another one. The only other Xantia I've driven is my Dad's one, so it is my only point of reference, apart from comparing it to older Citroen's such as GS and CX.

I'm sure that part of my problem is intermitant strut binding - but what to do about it ? I've done the grease lube trick 3 times now over the last two months, and every time it is much better for a few days to a few weeks and then it deteriorates back to poor again. What's left ? Replace the struts for >$700 each ? :cry: (With no guarentee that will fix the problem)

Centre sphere is definately not flat, although not pressure tested yet. Front outer spheres have been replaced with known good second hand ones, with only a modest improvement. In the hard mode sitting on the front only goes down about half an inch (I would have expected more) and feels very stiff indeed, but in the soft mode I can bottom the suspension by sitting on it.

In soft mode I can press fairly softly and get a small movement, and the movement at the front while correcting height changes is very smooth, and yet while driving the ride is frequently harsh :(

At the back the centre hydractive sphere has been replaced, but the outer spheres are a little bit doubtful. The back in hard mode goes down about 2 inches when I sit on it so they must have some gas in them and yet the hard mode while driving (particularly when accelerating off the mark, triggering hard mode) is very harsh at the back too.

I think the rear arm bearings are ok because once again in soft mode the tiniest little push will move the suspension smoothly, and there is no excessive negative camber.
--I've only driven one standard xantia SX, it had regassed spheres, I found it very harsh for ride comfort and quite dissapointing.
Perhaps it also had the dreaded sticky/binding struts ? My Dad's one had all the classic creaking and groaning symptoms of dry struts, but I only had to grease his once and the improvment has been permanent, compared to only a temporary reprieve on mine...
--They are japanesse made Toyo's. The car should as standard have 195/55 15" ..... I went one size lower and wider as they were easier to get. The car handles extremelly well on them. The ride quality is still very good, however if your car is 'crashing' in the front end, no doubt they will make the ride worst :(
No doubt. :?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

although the car has a reasonably smooth ride compared to say a mondeo, it is no better than say a vw passat
Gaz, i find the C5 waaaay better than a Passat (i know, we used to have one, 99 Passat Variant). You just can't trick lumbar disc hernias! :D
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955