Front Wheels on a ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stansbury
My Cars:

Front Wheels on a ZX

Post by Stansbury »

I have touched on this in another topic but thought I might bring it up as its pretty important concidering the concequences that could have prevailed...
I got my new ZX five days ago now and made a point of having it MOTed straight away. It had a few months left but got it done anyway and it passed. However, I wanted to change the breaks as they were abit soft. This is why...
Pads 6mm, disk down to 10mm and my wheel side disk just metal. It has taken me three hours to fix as I had to bleed the system as the pipes that put the brakes forward onto the disks were so siezed that one new pasd would not fit let alone a complete new setup. Passenger side front was the worst. Because it had been so long since the brakes had been changed the alloy wheel had welded itself to the disk at three points and in turn I have had to put my spare alloy wheel on due to the ammount of damage caused. (Just to give you an idea) The man at the garage drove the car up and down the coutyard with no wheel nuts in and the wheel did not even move. Simply parked up, put the nuts back on the still alligned) I have been told that Citroen Alloys are not made of the same material as normal aftermarket alloys and the bloke recommends taking the wheels of the front every so often and either changing them over or simply moving them one nut along so they do not settle.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You can grease the hubs to stop alloy wheels sticking.
Stansbury
My Cars:

Post by Stansbury »

That what I have done using copperslip but still a git to get off after running for a while. Had to get to the garage, get the wheel off, put the wheel back on, drive 1 mile home and remove wheel to replace brakes. Two people, 5 minutes with copperslip all over the wheel and mainbolt!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Copperslip isn't really suitable because its not water proof, it'll get washed off.
I use Duckhams Keenol, its a waterproof grease suitable for marine use, it's temperature resistant and tends to stay put although it is prone to drying out rather than being washed off. Incidentally I'm told you can't buy Keenol any more, they've stopped making it.
Beslux White Bearing Grease I'm told is an alternative to Keenol.
Stansbury
My Cars:

Post by Stansbury »

Thank you!