BX 17 RD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian Fearn
My Cars:

BX 17 RD

Post by Ian Fearn »

Somebody at work has offered me a cheap/free BX 17 RD today (non turbo) apparently only needing tyres and a battery for the MOT with only 112k on the clock.
What worried me was that during our brief conversation he described the gearbox as a 'parisian taxi box' thus indicating it'll only do 65-70 at a push.
I've never driven a diesel BX so i dont know if they really are that slow, can anybody give me any guidance, i need something to use when my BX has its 'rework' this summer?
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I've only had a 19TGD myself which was far from slow - 80mph five up with camping gear was a nice cruise. It will definitely be slower than your GTi though!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I have one, and it depends what you are comparing it too whether its slow or not!!
I would describe it as 'leisurely' rather than slow. It will cruise at 80/85, comfortably but noisily, but will easily give 50 to the gallon.
Its not a car you would buy for speed, however, and performs like a petrol 1300, but then i'm not a performance and speed fanatic-I prefer comfort.
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

The GTI is the fastest car i've ever had and i'm not a speed freak, i just dont want to invest money getting this 17rd through an MOT to find its the most painful thing this side of accupuncture!
Anybody know the rough performance stats?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I should have added, it most likely won't have power steering, mine doesn't, and will feel monsterously heavy to steer at low speed-if you have any back or shoulder trouble I would recommend you try parallel parking it before taking it on-its a bit of an automotive bullworker[xx(]!!!!!
But, then again, its free.................. [:)]
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

Power steering? Just something else to go wrong!!
Other than the power issues its got good spheres, door hinges, struts, new rear arm bearings and its in black which is a damn sight nice than most of the beige or faded red ones i see around!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

My lighter Visa 17RD with the same engine was about 17seconds to 60. I once had an indicated 102. Foot to the floor the whole way from london to bristol on the m4 it would do 85-95 depending on the hill and return 40 to the gallon still. The bx would be a bit slower I expect acclerating but top end would be the same as its more aerodynamic
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The 17RD is quick enough, the motors have less torque than the 1.9 units and need to be buzzed a bit to get them moving but they are not unfeasibly slow, especially on the motorway where they wind up to a good cruising speed, a mate of mine used his as a contractors vehicle /toolbox for years, thrashing it up and down the motorways for tens of thousands of miles with very little trouble.
Stewart
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

My 19RD won't do more than 80/90 on the flat unless you're really unfair to it. I'd say that top speed is more to do with the power/torque of the engine than the gearbox! They're not reknowned for their speed, but I'm sure it will do the speed limits! Only quick(ish) diesel BX really was the TD. They had a half decent turn of pace for a 1.8 diesel, but your GTi is bound to make either feel slow. That said it works as an advantage, as when I get into the 16v after driving the 19RD, it feels even faster!
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I did once hit the ton in my 19TGD but when I next checked the oil, there wasn't really any there so I promised never to do it again! It was my first "modern" apart from a Ford Fiesta. I knew nothing about cambelts but I guess if it was going to go, that would have done the trick!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Diesel car magazine years ago bought a 17RD new as a long term project as I think it was the cheapest family diesel you could buy then. Don't know what happened to it in the end but it was always hanging around their offices in Somerton. The engine is the XUD7 1769cc same set up as Peugeot 205 with 60bhp. (BX14 had 72bhp, BX19 diesel 72bhp).
Another note, what did the BX diesel auto drive like?