The end of the World

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stansbury
My Cars:

Post by Stansbury »

ImageImage ImageImage
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Stansbury
Here's what your ZX engine looks like with the timing cover removed.
This shows the run of the timing belt on the water pump, belt adjuster and idler. These are the bits I recommended you replace earlier on this thread.
<font size="1">Edited for pour speeling</font id="size1">[B)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

Do you know the history of timing belt changes on the engine? If you have no idea when the belt was changes, I recommend you get it done ASAP. Worthwhile at the same time is changing the water pump, timing belt tentioner and idler. This will cost you a few quid but worth it. I've just done all this on my red BX (same engine) and I now have the piece of mind these very important parts are all in fine fettle. This is what happens when a timing belt fails.........
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Gee that's rare; a two cylinder twin cam diesel....did you design that??
Alan S[}:)][:o)][:o)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I think the variable valve timing is out of sync.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

many moons ago i had a VISA 17D,the cambelt snapped while on tickover.
caused the usual damage,cam snapped and caps broken.
believe it or not all i did to repair it was fit a 2nd hand cam and caps and a new cambelt,started it up and it run ok,didnt even take the head off to check the valves,(even thou they had obviously hit the pistons!!).the only problem i had was that it started to use oil,i think the piston crowns had nipped the rings slightly!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

The damage was actually cause by a pillock (not me) not tightening the adjuster bolt enough. The adjuster must have wobbled about for a long while until finally it jammed in the fully slack position, the belt jumped on the cam and that was that!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stansbury</i>

one write off .... one front end smash (Write off)
You could give these guys a call, they might help your cars last a bit longer.[;)]
Stansbury
My Cars:

Post by Stansbury »

Might just do that will you pay for me! [;)]
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Tone, I know of someone with an AX where the cambelt snapped on tickover. Exactly as you say. Got away with it! Is odd because you'd assume it would go when you give it a bit of welly, not when you are just sitting there.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tonespeed1999</i>

many moons ago i had a VISA 17D,the cambelt snapped while on tickover.
caused the usual damage,cam snapped and caps broken.
believe it or not all i did to repair it was fit a 2nd hand cam and caps and a new cambelt,started it up and it run ok,didnt even take the head off to check the valves,(even thou they had obviously hit the pistons!!).the only problem i had was that it started to use oil,i think the piston crowns had nipped the rings slightly!
Surely this would not be good for oil pressure - to put the wrong caps on a different head?