Earthing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

glenndaleuk
My Cars:

Earthing

Post by glenndaleuk »

Hi
Has anyone had probs with the earthing on TD xantia.I have had to run a secondry strap from the battery to the Block but this is still not very good. It`s strange because if the engine is still warm it will hardly turnover, but once it has been left for about an hour it starts fine. Without the extra strap engine only just turnsover hot or cold.Any Ideas ?
Thanks
Glenn
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Glenn, I had just these problems a few weeks ago. It transpired that the earth strap from battery to gearbox was crimped at the engine end and this had broken down. Through repeated and long overdue use of trying to get by without curing the problem the starter motor suffered and finally died with all the symptoms of a dying battery.
Replace the lead with a really good one, soldered at both ends and try again. You could earth it back to the starter mounting bolt if you prefer. Plus ensure all the various earth points behind the battery are sound while your at it because the battery housing has to come out.
The starter replacement is about an hours work with care and mine was certainly worth it. Lucas service exchange was £70. Good luck, Robin
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I always add another earth from the engine to the body too, surprising what niggling electrical problems it can cure.
Stewart
glenndaleuk
My Cars:

Post by glenndaleuk »

Thanks chaps I have gone and got another battery/gearbox earth lead from a scrapper. I will try that and add an extra lead as suggested.
Should it go from the battery to the engine or form the gearbox to the engine ??
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

From the battery to the engine. Make sure the lead is sound at both ends. Mine was mechanically OK to look at but it was discoloured from overheating and caused a high resistance connection. The secret is that the terminals should be soldered and not crimped. Robin
glenndaleuk
My Cars:

Post by glenndaleuk »

Thanks for your help Robin i`lllet you know how I go on.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Objection your honor!
During my MOD soldering course (held at Marconi's in Chelmsford a long, long, time ago - when I was an apprentice) we learnt that a good (= accepted by defence inspectors) soldered joint started with a completely formed mechanical joint. If the joint wouldn't hold together without the solder, it would'nt be accepted. So, make sure you have a good mechanical anchorage BEFORE you solder the joint together! (and a crimped joint is as good as any)
//NiSk
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Another place to go looking for earthing faults are the earthing points that are hidden under and behind the battery.
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

my first car was a MGB GT, the battery for that was under the back seat. I remember noting at the time (i was having starting probs) that the earth lead used to get very very hot, never got round to fixing it just traded it in for a Volvo 740.
glenndaleuk
My Cars:

Post by glenndaleuk »

Have sorted the problem got a a new earth strap from a scrapper, interesting to see the scrapper lead had at least five diferent conections my original only had two.I also added an extra lead from battery to the engine as near to the starter motor as possible.The starter now spins as it should. Thanks all for the help and advise.