Risks of Hydraflhshing? Permanent use possible?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Risks of Hydraflhshing? Permanent use possible?

Post by Thunderbird »

Cheers!
Are there risks in the hydraflush operation?
For instance, if after hydracleaning the Total Hydraurincage is not entirely removed from the system, how dangerous could this be?
If it there's no risk, how about using a permanent a mix of LHM and Hydraurincage (let's say 90/10)?
Doesn't LHM+ have a cleaning power already?
Regards!
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

I'm led to believe that Hydraflush doesn't damage the system, so much as if you were to leave engine oil flush in the oil you use, that it would eventually eat its way through the seals etc.
My 16v actually has Hydraflush in it still. I put it in back in mid-January and it died mid-Feb, so its been sitting there a good long time! I've been reccomended to keep a small bit of the flush in along with your regular LHM too, not sure how much to dillute by though?
Only problem I experienced with the flush was that my PAS died, probably because the filters in the flow distributor valve are so small and the Hydraflush picked up all the crap in the system and clogged those filters with it!
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I have been running 10% hydraflush in my system for about ayear now with no adverse effects, in fact my suspension has stayed very smooth, i dont know whether its because of the small amount of hydraflush i put in or whether its because of the excellent servicing the previous owner did on it
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

there are a number of functions of LHM which are important to the functioning of the hydraulic system which include lubrication and its resistance to take up water.
The lubrication is obvious but the significance of water in the fluid is rather more sinister.
To go to a conventional braking system you will have seen the warnings about replacing brake fluid as the boiling point drops from about 400 degrees to 100 as it deteriorates. Go down an alp and you can imagine what could happen.
The Citroen brakes are essentially the same as conventional ones with (probably) different seals. They will therefore take up heat in just the same way.
The question is whether Hydraflush resists water as well as LHM. I expect the answer is that no-one really knows as extensive research has not been done.
I would only use it as a flush and then replace it with LHM after the recommended interval.
Jeremy
jeremy