How do you restore a red citroen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The biggest problem I've found with using "T" cut or cutting compounds or any "reviver" polish is that most people try to use too much at one time.
It's a case of, do a bit, let it almost dry then rub the hell out of it. Do another small bit and repeat over & over until the affected area has been covered. If you're careful, a mechanical polisher can save a lot of frustration, but when you eventually get it all done, then a better class cream polish and sometimes followed by a good waxing works well.
The secret then is, to keep it well maintained for a while and after this, hit it with another coat of wax or cream polish at the first signs of deterioration.
That's how I did my old red one and it came out like this.
<i>Edit: This forum doesn't like bitmaps, I've changed pic to a jpg and uploaded to the Forum server. Jon</i>
Alan S
FDV
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by FDV »

I'd probably steer away from T-Cut and other compounds. I tried it once on the 16v which had pink patches when I bought it. The T-Cut didn't really improve matters to be fair. I'd reccomend AutoGlym Super Resin polish. It sounds tiring, but I attacked it with light buffs about 5 times one summers afternoon. Finish off with Extra Gloss Protection. The result made my dads 1 year old Rosso red 156 look faded!
You have to keep it going mind. If I don't polish it within 2 months, I have a pink spoiler, rear bumper, arch spats and skirts!
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

I'd be interested in cornishbx16v comments to see if I've been doing it right!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There are many methods of applying polish/t-cut and most of the time its purley personal preference! Most people will suggest the Karatee kid Method of Wax on, Wax off, ( Circular hand movements included!!) although when i completed the autoglym course a fair while back the chap there said that to polish in lines works well and some find its easier to remove the polish when its been applied in strips rather than circles! so in effect you are 'doing it right'!!!! to be honest, in my time i havent ever told people they should do it a certain way as if they are comfortable applying their choice of products that way and have done for so many years then thats fine, its the old saying, 'if its not broke dont fix it' [:)]
As for the stain on the roof as dave bamber mentioned, the only thing i do insist on is that polish is only ever applied to the cloth, not the panel, especially as you do only need a tiny amount of polish for the application, most modern polishes have a cut of forms in them whether it is a solvent or particle, but they will effect the paint if poured on and spread out in thick layers! and at the end of the day it cost you more as you have to replace the bottle sooner[:)]
for those of you with dark coloured cars, -black, blue, maroon, green and grey autoglym have just announced a new polish to the retail range, Ultra deep shine, it has been about in the trade for a year or so and has been sought for the retailers now, it is formulated to remove the risk of 'holograming' on the paintwork especially noticable with dark cars, you normally notice it from an angle and it looks like a light hazey smear, but the new polish has a slight cut in it too and i have to say it is excellent, i was one of the first to use it as i used to get a lot of demo products due to the troughput of my valeting dept. and it realy does work, and it smells nice too! will either have a dark blue or black label, but its worth picking up a bottle if you have a dark car, you will notice the difference! i should be on commision here!!![:D]
Mer - i know of a few people who use mer, personally i never have so i cant really comment on it, but i wouldnt try setting fire to the bonnet just to see if it is fire resistant[:0]!!!
if anyone is interested i have written what i see from my experience to be a valeting guide for your car that i can email to you if you like, i am not saing its the gospel but its the system i have used over the last 10 years, if anyone is interested drop me an email at timmymagic@orange.net