cd input on rds 3030 radio

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kid
My Cars:

cd input on rds 3030 radio

Post by kid »

hoping you can help
my car radio is the 3030/PH1C type with the RDS screen in the middle, and the cassette deck above it.
it has the cd input on the bottom left side, can anyone tell me is it as simple as connecting this to a cd walkman using a single wire? Also would i need batteries in the walkman or would power be supplied.
TIA
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

You would still need batteries to power your walkman/cd player, and it should be as simple as plugging a line in/out cable into the walkman and your head unit. I had a kit from Argos when I first passed my text which a stand that holds my cd player and then just the one cable going into the headunit...as far as I can remember.
Regards
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

either that or I use a cheap mp3 player and just plug in a botched together lead made up out of 2 old headphone cables I had knocking around works great for me
leonard1
My Cars:

Post by leonard1 »

The kits from Argos come with a cassette adapter that plus into the headphone socket of cd walkman and the cassette bit clicks into the cassette player.
Also you may be able to do is to power the cd walkman from your ciggie lighter socket.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have used a variety of CD players and a mini disc player in mine using the CD input socket. I find that you need the output volume quite high on the player to get good results. A low output from the player means that the radio volume needs to be very high and can pick up electrical noise from the engine (alternator).
Richard
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leonard1</i>

Also you may be able to do is to power the cd walkman from your ciggie lighter socket.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
a powerful aid to packing up the fags too[:)]
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

You can buy 3.5mm jack to jack cables from Staples or dixons...
I'd also check ebay.
Andy
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

Many thanks for replies, been away just back.
Ive tried the car kit similar to the Argos one where you put the cassette in the cassette deck (surprisingly!) and the other cable into the cigar lighter, however i found there were too many wires and more importantly the quality of the cd playback was terrible and distorted.
Would the line in line out improve the sound feedback or is this just the way it is whichever system you use?
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

NO, get a cable and use the line in line out as you call it. Sound quality will be as good as your CD player can provide. I used it this way and it was excellent.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had the cassette type a few years ago.The sound wasn`t that good.I think it only works on mono,no stereo sound.The cd jack will be much better.
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

An update for future reference to anyone else
I brought a cd walkman off ebay (model Sony D-EJ751) and also a jack to jack cable for the cd input, the quality is now very good and in stereo too, and just the single wire. All in all both item came in less than £20.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

I have a mini iPod and a short cable with elbow connectors. The iPod with cable in wedges very snugly into the space just in front of the two centre air-vents. The cable is just long enough to reach tidily to the CD input socket (on my 4030). Sound is great. Just have to turn the iPod volume to max.