Citroen Xantia question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

terry4444
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia question

Post by terry4444 »

Hope you guys can give me some pointers. I,ve had no problems at all with performance etc. However this morning when I,ve gone to start car, it was hard to start, stuttered, smoked a bit, then I noticed that the diagnostic light has come on.
This light goes off when I rev it.
Money is tight at the present, so any advice as to what servicing, checks replacements etc I can do to carry me over and put this light out for the time being would be good.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Which model of the Xantia do you own ?
Is it petrol or diesel, how old is it, and what mileage has it done ?
Is this the first, and only time it has done this ?
terry4444
My Cars:

Post by terry4444 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ACTIVE8</i>

Which model of the Xantia do you own ?
Is it petrol or diesel, how old is it, and what mileage has it done ?
Is this the first, and only time it has done this ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It,s a 1.9 TD Preg 80,000 mileage and this is the very first time it has ever done this. Is it safe to run until I can get it fixed?
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

I would give it a service. air, fuel and oil filter change and also change the oil and put some diesel additive in the tank.
I sometimes fill up the fuel filter housing with injector cleaner. it could also be your glo plugs. in the morning after the orange glo plug light goes out turn the ignition off and back on a couple of time and start the engine if it starts first time then time to replace the glo plugs.
you could try priming the fuel using the priming bulb in the back left of the engine bay. if that helps the you have an air leak.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Could well be a duff glowplug. There are lots of hint and tips on diagnosing these as a fault.
Number one is behind the pump and a bit of a pig to get at! As for safe to run until you get it fixed: Lets find out for sure what's wrong with it first. Are you still having problems with the diagnostic lamp for instance. When you rev it it goes out. Does it stay out?
By the way, I'm only qualified to help with Citroens. A Citroen may be quite another animal![:)]
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Nice one, Tom.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Isn't the Citroen Xantia the Chinese made version of the Citroën Xantia (lofl).
//NiSk