BX with no PR???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

BX with no PR???

Post by wonderd »

How can that be;
i have searched in 3 BXs for a PR and there was no PR in any of them!!!
They were all 88' TRS automatic, is that possible?
At the first one i thought maybe someone took it out but in all 3 of them i didn't see loose hoses...
please advise..
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interesting - it must be hidden elsewhere as the things cant function without one. Of course no FDV if no power steering.
Jeremy
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

i am sorry jeremy for making such a stupid mistake, ofcourse i was refering to the FDV and not to the PR, so you are saying that if the vehicle doesn't have power steering, then there is no FDV?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

FDV function is to split the high pressure supply for the PAS. You will find the regulator is different - if you are going to use it on a PAS car you will have to remove a blanking plug - will probably work then - but have never done it.
Jeremy
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

i didn't get it, where would i find the regulator different? (as there is no fdv on vehicles without pas?)
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Just to clarify, '88 TRS autos would have had PAS.
Is a pressure regulator and the accumulator one and the same thing?
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

the accumulator is is the sphare on the pressure regulator the way i understand it.
maybe some of the models of 88' trs have pas, but the three i checked does not have the fdv..
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dan -
BX 16 (1.6 engine) did not have PAS on pre-'90 models.
Only 1.9engine (and some diesels) BX had PAS.
Elad -
The BX PR number is supposed to be found on LHS A-pillar. But I have only seen it on one of my BX'es (6 in all). There is no exception to that rule.
Either the car has been cleaned (rubbed) or painted over in that area - or the worker forgot to put the number in.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

HAng on Anders. In all this talk of PRs PASs and FDVs, you left in a typo to see if I was awake. This is the RP number I think!
The accumulator is a green sphere Dan. It screws onto the pressure regulator which is a lump of metal that sits near the front of the engine bay. The small pipe from the pump leads to it.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Oooops [:o)]
Tx Tom [:I]
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

I guess I lost something here. My 88 16TRS has power assisted steering (PAS). Then, of course, it needs FDV (flow distributor valve), which is located above PR (pressure regulator). Do I understand all these abbreviations right?
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

yes
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I have to disagree Anders, I know the '88 TRS 16 auto had PAS as my dad had one.....Speaking of the phase II (full front indicators) I understood only some of the 1400's didn't have it, but apart from that it was fitted across the range? I'll have to dig out all my old brochures if I'm wrong!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Specifications are a fascinating subject: - so I've dug out my November 1985 edition of What Car. This shows that the BX16 RS cost £6628 and that PAS was an option for the cost of £261 (and auto £584). Naturally PAS wasn't available on the 14 and was standard on all 19's except the diesel saloon
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmph - hmph -
Seems I've moved out on really thin ice here [:I]
I've never seen a DK BX16 pre-'90 with PAS - but that should not mislead me to think it was not available [8)]
I guess it was available as an option also here in DK - but most customers probably turned it down because it was too pricy - like all extra's are on cars here in DK.
To get back on track : The PR is the pressure regulator with the accumulator sphere fitted. This is of course found on all BX models.
On srrvosteering models (PAS) you have the FDV. This is the squarish lump with 5 rigid pipes connected. It's fitted on the front flage of the gearbox.
Really sorry I screwed up this thread guys [B)]