V6 plug change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiav6

V6 plug change

Post by xantiav6 »

I am having a break half way through changing the spark plugs on my Xantia.
The plug change is a bit easier than I anticipated, I could do it in an hour next time.
The plugs that came out of the fron 3 cylinders look almost new and had clean threads. The plugs that came out of the rear 3 cylinders are badly worn and were all tight in the threads. The date codes of the fron and rear plugs did not match. Someone has been cheating I think.
Can anyone tell me where the sensor is for the water temperature guage and what colour is the connector? I bought a replacement (specifying clearly that I wanted one for the guage, not the fans) which has a brown connector, but the water sensor on the top water pipe has a green connector. The sensor on the bottom water pipe has a brown connector, but I would expect that would be for the cooling fans.
Lastly, I have noticed that the LHM return hose from the front HA valve has split at the T with the return hose from the regulator. Are these two hoses all supplied as one unit, or is the T piece supposed to be servicable? There are no clamps on the hoses, so I suspect it is all one sealed unit.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I think Citroen use either green or blue for water temp guages on the connectors. I know it's not the same, but on my Xsara I had a simalar problem. Temp plugs both with green connectors but with brown wiring plugs. Did the easiest thing and stared the car and took each one off in turn. Can confirm though that both sensor for guage and fan is the same, main delaer told me this when I ordered mine.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The gauge sensor is the blue one tucked right back on the rear cylinder head. Brown one is for the fans/bitron, green is for the ecu.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I didn't even see the blue sensor yesterday. Is it on the end of the head near the water pipes?
Is the guage sensor interchangable with the fan sensor (as previously reported)? The replacement I have is part number 133866. The part is marked TJ 259/0 (the last digit is a bit unclear)
BTW, the inlet manifold gasket that needs to be replaced when changing the spark plugs was only £1.60 from the dealer. Was that a mistake?
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Yes, the blue sender is tucked away where you cant really see or get to it behind the pipes. The gaskets are cheap as chips, unlike some other parts I could mention. I wouldn't think the senders are interchangable. Although they might fit you would probably get incorrect readings on you gauge.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I was replacing the temperature guage sensor because I thought that the temperature guage was usually reading about 10° lower than the thermostat temperature. I replaced the thermostat a few months ago with no change in guage readings.
But thinking about it now, if the sensor is in the head rather than by the thermostat, then the reading may well be lower than the thermostat temperature, due to cold water entering the engine from the radiator.
The temperatures I see are around 70° on a cold day, or any time that the A/C is on, and about 80° on a hot day with the A/C off (when the temperature is being regulated by the Bitron, rather than the water thermostat).
So what guage temperature do other V6 drivers see?
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

same as you
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Don't know if the Xantia is overcooled but my '99 XM V6 24V runs water and oil temps at 90C summer and winter.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers