MOT question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

MOT question

Post by simonelsey »

My xsara passed MOT yesterday, all ok , got 2 advisory notes , 1st one, rear seat belts not tested , due to child seats fitted . (DOes this mean rears are not part of the mot) + secondly Front shocks are leaking , on last years mot the shocks where leaking as well . How bad do the shocks have to be too fail.
Jon

Post by Jon »

The rear seat belts are part of the Test, I guess strictly speaking the tester could fail the car if he was unable to test their retraction, and look at the fabric for cuts. However, this is one where the tester can use his discretion, its obvious that the belts are fitted, and that they latch correctly or they would not have been used to secure the babyseats.
As regards the leaking front dampers, I am very surprised that they did not fail on that.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Dad had a leaking damper on his car (Lancia Thema Turbo), they stopped leaking when all of the oil had leaked out. Leaking and afterward it passed MOTs.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

if a child seat is fitted we do not have to remove the belt to check it,just visually inspect it!
as for the advisory note on the shocker,it can only fail an MOT test if the tester actually see,s fluid leaking from it at the time off test,but passed it because it functions ok.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tonespeed1999</i>

if a child seat is fitted we do not have to remove the belt to check it,just visually inspect it!
as for the advisory note on the shocker,it can only fail an MOT test if the tester actually see,s fluid leaking from it at the time off test,but passed it because it functions ok.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, I agree with that !
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If its working and not dripping at test time then it can pass, I would get it changed though as it will soon develop a "damping free" bit which can make handling very hairy.
Stewart
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

I agree with oily spanner. If it has passed 2 years running with leaking shocks then they must be getting close to the end of their lives.Change them asap if i was you.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Just to clarify my point, I agreed that it was O.K. for the vehicle to pass as it did.
Although obviously the problem needs sorting out, and the shocks should be changed.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

I just thaoght I mention about the shock as I always thoaght leaking shock are a failure . The shocks are working ok , It just makes it easy to spend money when you have to. Would you recomend a garage or ATS for shocks or Cowboy (kwik fits) sorry I just find kwik fit always seem to do more damage then good.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simonelsey</i>

I just find kwik fit always seem to do more damage then good.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What? Surely you're mistaken.
I've seen their recent TV ad's and they're brilliant now [;)] Much better than ordinary garages.
Like they say, if you do somethiing all the time, you get good at it. Unfortunately, the "something" they do is b*gger thigs up!
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Ah, but you get a cup of tea while they're doing it now.