Newbe - Non-starting Xantia 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RalphJ
My Cars:

Newbe - Non-starting Xantia 1.9TD

Post by RalphJ »

Help please...
Xantia 1.9TD, N reg
When I try to start dash lights come on as normal until I try to turn the engine over then everything goes dead.
Turn switch away from the start position and nothing - no electrics anywhere - no side lights, no dash lights, nothing.
Checked major fuses - all seem OK.
No keypad immobiliser fitted. No sign of an alarm going off.
Leave for 60 minutes and repeat (after much swearing) - same thing happens. I notice a click somewhere in the engine bay as if the starter solonoid is switching, but no attempt to turn over - nothing.
Battery seems OK (by meter and lights don't dim if I turn them on before trying to start).
The remote key has not worked since I got the car (about a year ago) even though I tried changing the battery.
Any suggestions?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

It sounds like you have a duff connection somewhere. Remove and clean up the battery leads/terminals and check the earthing leads between the body and gearbox.
RalphJ
My Cars:

Post by RalphJ »

Tried cleaing battery terminals and body earth (wasn't aware of grearbox earth so will look at this). No change
Is there some form of immobiliser which could be at fault?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

This sounds suspiciously like a duff cell in the battery. Although it will supply a limited current, when you ask it to supply the few hundred amps to start the car, it dies. Allowing 60 mins for it to recover, and it will do exactly the same.
Borrow a known good battery from someone, and try that. If that turns out to be the problem, check for over charging of the battery (should never go much over about 14.4 volts, apart from maybe for a moment after starting) as this is likely to be the cause. Overcharging dries the battery out, and leaves cells without any acid. When you attempt to draw high current, the plates can warp and short out.
If you go to a lucas direct outlet you can get batterys for a hell of a lot less than Halfrauds. The monster battery for my 4 litre Perkins diesel engine in my Landrover was under £35. I think the cheapest battery in Halfrauds is £39.99
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I would have thought your car had the keypad type immobiliser but perhaps these were only fitted to ZX - in which case its obvious. Otherwise these horrible devices are usually given away by a flashing red light. If its an aftermarket one I don't imagine its very difficult to remove as the installers seem to use black wires and I think Thatcham 2 interupts 2 circuits only.
Guess what they will be on a diesel!
Actually this has all the classics of a bad connection somewhere. BX and I think ZX have a plug and socket in the positive lead from the battery to the starter. Follow the positive lead towards the engine and look for anything that could be a plug. BX ones have a black casing. Take it apart and clean it!
Jeremy
RalphJ
My Cars:

Post by RalphJ »

Fixed (Kind-a)
Thanks everyone for the help and advice.
I layed on hands, removed and checked all the engine bay fuses, rolled up a trowser leg and tried again. It started!!??? The only real difference is that it is a lot warmer now than it was this morning.
I think the battery may a problem. Off load it gives 12.5 volts, with the engine running 14.4v. Is the off load voltage a bit low? I'm going to fit a battery out of another car (temp measure) and see how it behaves
Another possibility may be the imobiliser. I know there must be one as there is that funny 'disable the alarm' switch on the dash. Perhaps taking off the battery leads made it kick back to 'normal' operation. There were no flashing lights or indicators previously but perhaps its on it's way out? Anyone know where it is located so that I can 'doctor it' if I have a problem again?
BTW - thanks for the battery advice 'fastandfurious' - I totally agree about Halfrauds
RalphJ
My Cars:

Post by RalphJ »

Further news...
Battery is at fault, and it seems to be as suggested, a duff cell.
Thanks again
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Great, pleased to see you managed to identify the cause of your problem.