Projects getting out of contorl - your thoughts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Projects getting out of contorl - your thoughts

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Hi every one, you've probably noticed over the last month that there have been a few conversations about my projects on the forum and also a lot of parts coming up for sale.
If I may I’d like a reality check with you all about the projects.
The current status is:
I have a silver Xantia active and a Dark metallic red V6 exclusive. Put these 2 cars together and you get:
A silver sunroof and A/C manual V6 Activa with full black original leather and every option the car came with. It will be a phase 1 car as I like the styling of that car over the phase 2 (bar the rear lights). This project I’m happy with and will probably not change. (Unless I sell my leather interior which I don’t see happening).
The second project is the one I am currently working on, it’s a Dark red Activa TD, now I have 2 options:
1 I can fit the 2.1 TD engine I have once I find a wiring loom and register the car as an Activa 2.1 TD 110 (R reg through Citroen and the DVLA). I have all the parts for this bar, a diesel in tank sender (no pump) and a HG and associated parts (£70), this car is getting a full Buffalo interior retrim (red and white leather).
2 I’ve been offered a damaged silver HDi (X reg) with 80K on the clock, its a 110, the cost is £950 and with the Activa I have here I can build it into a Silver HDi Activa 110 (again with Citroens help) the leather retrim isn’t a problem as it can be done to this car instead of the red one.
The major bonus is the cars insurance class won’t move with option 2 ware as this option will mean that the car is classed as a modified Activa (making it a group 15!)
What are your thoughts? A small part of me feels that I should continue with the 2.1 as it’s basically all there, but the HDi is very very tempting
Andy
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

have you been watching PIMP MY RIDE?[}:)]
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

LOL no :D but i think at one point i had too much time on my hands...
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

It sounds a bit like loaves and fishes, it seems that you start off with one Activa and end up with two?
How difficulty is it to fit the Activa suspension bits to the V6? Is it just plug and play or is fabrication required? Would the suspension changes affect the V6 insurance rating?
Personally, I would be more interested in finding a way to fit a manual transmission to the V6, as the engine is really spoiled by the behaviour of the auto.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Ive got 2 activas, 1 v6 and a (possible) HDi. the HDi will only be bought if i can rase the cash, so far out of £950 i have £250! which is rather a long way to go!
Its not worth trying to fit the activa system to a non activa car there are alot of parts and pipes (and electronics) that are diferent.
the Manual box on the Auto is mossible but you will need to find a 2.1 and take the box, clutch actuator, pedalbox and piping off. then the ecu needs to be told that the box isnt there an y more other whise the car will perminantly be in Limp hom mode.
Andy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

OK Andy you used the term 'reality check' before I did so by all means reply and challenge me but don't be too rude!
I've been messing with cars on and off for 40 years I suppose but can still walk without a Zimmer frame and like to think I have a sense of adventure.
However - just because you can do something doesn't mean that there is any point in doing it!
So - what are you looking for at the end? I know that Xantia Activa's can go round corners and can develop G forces to rival Ferraris but what do you really want at the end.
I can understand to some extent the attraction of having a Xantia Activa V6 but from where I come from the fuel consumption would be prohibitive and I might as well spend the money on something better like a BMW or a Jaguar or a Porsche with much better acceleration for the money, even at the loss of a small amount of cornering power.
2.1 Xantia Activa - well much the same applies albeit with a slightly different context. While it will go round corners as if on rails - it will never habve enough power to warrant the bother or take advantage on the straight.
Yes I know - I drive round in a BX TD. I've just spent half the week trying to trace minor electric leaks in a 4.2 Range Rover Classic and think what on earth is the point of all the junk on it like electric seats - it takes forever to get the bloody thing back far enough get in and to remove the panel under the steering wheel! Does it make the thing more comfortable - no - is it any use - no all it means is that it puts me into the same position that gave me back ache last time rather than allowing me to try and find another!
Sell it all and get something simpler that allows you to enjoy yourself driving. It doesn't have to be enormous or even have a big engine, but needs to put you in contact with reality - like a BX!
Jeremy
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Or you could try fitting the V6 and Activa bits to an Estate.[:o)]
With a manual 'box, that would be a dream Xantia I think.
Part of me thinks these projects are a great thing. Another part thinks it would be better to work at preserving a unique vehicle in original condition.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your response you did read the post correctly. your right about the "just because you can do something doesn’t mean that you should... i need to write that down and put it on every door in the house and more importantly the shed door. I probably wouldn’t have started the TD project if i had thought like that as I’m sure a nice 1.9 Xantia TD or 1.7td BX would have been fine as a day to day drive.
I’ve owned all the top BX's (4TD(+), 4-16v's(+) and 2 4x4's) and a fare few Xantia's (1 LX, 1 Vsx, 4 Activa’s and 2 V6). From the point of view of the best car out of them all for smiles it has to be the TD BX, for guts and ability the BX 4x4, for comfort - road holding and class the Activa’s and for being able to overtake anything and sound the V6.
The V6 I think needs the Activa system, HA2 is fine but it still suffers with the rear end going awol when driving quickly (40 onto a duel carriage way and the wife nearly span out in the VSX (very good tires all round)). The Activa is able to cover up drivers faults, and definitely adds some security to the car. And with an engine like the V6 the more security you can get the better. As a passenger it’s also nice not to get thrown around in the car and enjoy the smoothness of the V6 and its luxury. I think that the V6 Activa will be by far the best combination of Citroens technology’s available and to some existent I want to see what that’s like (I’m sure that lots of Activa drivers will want to see what the differences are as will the V6 drivers).
The TD came from me not just wanting an Activa sat on the drive for summer use (the V6 Activa will be kept for as long as I can (possibility of 20-30 years +)). So I decided that a TD version of the Activa was needed so that I could run up miles but not at the cost of the V6. the Activa is an amazing “sports” car but its also very very refined as a normal day to day drive, the steering is very sharp on it because of the suspension system and as a day to day car it would be more of a pleasure to drive than a VSX. It does have the advantage of being able to overtake lorries etc at 60mph on the outside bend of a slip road but your not always going to need that, but its still nice to be able to travel down country roads at a reasonable speed and not throw your passengers every ware.
I think that the best option for me is not to buy the HDi and stick with the 2.1 that way at least the project will be finished quickly with out more messing around.
If i was going to make an activa estate, it would have to be a HDi. :)
Andy
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Considering that the acceleration potential of a V6 is used only in short bursts, another possibility is to fit a Nitrous Oxide kit to the existing Activa ; evidently a horsepower boost of 40% can be had this way without jeopardising the life expectancy of the motor ... the dragsters get lots more boost, but they seem to find engine rebuilds an acceptable part of life.
I've been toying with the idea of making a home-made kit for my 2.0i for a couple of years, and would be willing to share my ideas if this option caught your interest. nicolewis@optusnet.com.au
PS: Tell the insurance company nuffin. Their assessors wouldn't know the first thing about under the bonnet of a Citroen.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I'm using a v6 more for its constant pull and how refined it is, its a really lovely engine that cruses very well for all out guts the 2L turbo can be tuned to 200bhp very esly with out n2o. I've looked at the n2o option in depth befor and i believe its a viable one but the V6 project wouldnt suite this as its a luxury car not a racer. my wifes Activa (standard) would however suit this aproch but really 150bhp is more than enough welly (with her behind the wheel) and its got baggs of torque too.
after the V6 is done i am having it converted to LPG as i have a friend who does this for a living and will do it at cost (which for a good setup is still £1000). this will bring its fuel cost down and LPG is better for the engine.
Andy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You can actually tune the TD12 to give amazing grunt - more torque than the V6 and enough HP to make things interesting (although nowhere near the top speed of the V6 - wherever one could use that!) And it doesn't have as many electrical gremlins either and is frugal on the fuel too.
http://www.hs-elektronik.com/datenblatt ... m21td.html
//NiSk
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

thanks for that NiSK, I do like TD's the BX was always alot of fun because of its torque to weight ratio. I will be chip tuning the 2.1 once its in the car, 130-140bhp and lots of torque for me are enough to keep me happy. as you rightly point out going fast isnt something you can do often (unless you live on a track) and the most fun for me is geting to a set speed not traveling at 140mph arund the contry.
the point of the 2.1 is as a daily drive and something that i will enjoy driving, really the V6 is an early classic for me, I expect to spend more time maintaining it that driving it unless the 4 months a year i use it for i do do alot of driving which i doubt because as soon as its a long distance i will just pull the TD out again and use that. this is also why i'm putting more effort into the TD, i want all the luxurys in it as i will be spending alot of time in the car.
Andy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Save, your cash for the tuning chip in the 2.1, you will have enough fun between that and the V6. Unless of course you shame us all by creating the first 2.1 activa BX.
Stewart