BX running on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oscar Too
My Cars:

BX running on

Post by Oscar Too »

Hi guys
Missed you all - started a new job and have been swamped!
A new problem on the BX - when I switch the engine off at the ignition, it doesn't stop immediately but continues rumbling away for a few seconds, as if gradually being choked of fuel.
Does anyone know what this may be, or whether any other threads here have looked at the same topic? Any quick fixes?
Thanks
O2
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's either running on its own engine oil (failed turbo) or the stop solenoid is on its way out. With the engine running, pull the wire off the stop solenoid, if it stops in the same non immediate way, then you've found the fault.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

It can be caused by the rubber on the end of the stop solenoid plunger having a hole in it, remove the solenoid, take out the plunger and examine the end, when one of mine did this there was a little chunk of rubber missing and the car went from running on a little to not stopping at all very rapidly, my local factors seem to have carded stop solenoids for under £25.
Stewart
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Thanks guys, it was exactly as you said Stewart - a small lump of rubber out of the end of the solenoid. I replaced it with the one I bought off Wilkobob when he broke his BX - thanks Wilko! What a forum!!