ZX TD immobiliser wanted!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sl4yer
My Cars:

ZX TD immobiliser wanted!

Post by Sl4yer »

I've seen posts about the difficulties of immobilising an 'old-style' diesel. Well, insurance renewal time is up, and the cheapest quote (from Privilege) is only valid with an approved immobiliser fitted.
Has anybody had one fitted to a ZX TD (or an early Xantia I suppose)? It seems fairly inexpensive and straightforward for petrol cars, but I suppose most places will charge a fortune for fitting one to a diesel (even though its probably not much harder).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

How much is your best quote without the immobiliser? - is it worth the bother fitting it?
I think the things only cut 2 sircuits. I suppose the best 2 are the starter feed and the fuel cut off. Too bad that you could still start the thing with a well placed jump lead!
We have an after market one on our ZX 1.9D which was fitted before we acquired it. Not quite sure how it is wired but it is beside the fuse box. One of its delights is that if you don't activate it the rear wiper starts moving slowly!
Jeremy
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Does it have to be an electronic immobiliser? what about one of those things that locks the gearlever in one position (the upmarket one that's bolted to the floor with security bolts, not the thing that links to the handbrake)? I know that they do very wel in tests. have a look at:
http://www.cpswbay.co.uk/multi.htm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You are probably looking at more than the car is worth- 'approved' in the insurance world usually means Thatcham approved and fitted by a proper installer only, also approved by them, and no DIY or your favourite back street mechanic.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I already use a Disclok, which should render it near impossible to nick anyway, at least to the young scrotes around here.
An electronic one is required. They can be fitted by approved dealers from about £105 for a Cat 2 - I wouldn't mind paying that or a bit more, but I'm assuming they expect to be dealing with a petrol car. I was just wondering if anybody had got one fitted to a diesel, before I ring up and look daft!
http://www.alarmacar.com/security.html