V6 24v XM Cylinder Head

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

V6 24v XM Cylinder Head

Post by David Hallworth1 »

Just been up and started my 24v XM (it sits off the road in my shed). All was great, started at the flick of a key after sitting for about six months, turning over lovely, nice and smooth, then when it had warmed through, started to give it some revs turning the "wee thing that makes it rev on the engine" (not sure what its called, excuse the terminology), and noticed that when it got to about 4000rpm, and upwards, there was some water that came out of the top of the reservoir. Checked that the lid was on ok, and it was, took it off, replaced it, and revved it again, and it did the same thing. Sounds a bit to me like its pressurising the water system, which suggests cylinder head gasket, just wondered if any of you guys out there had any different thoughts. Let me know. Thanks.
David Hallworth
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

sounds like the HG, the only other time ive seen this happen is when the water pump developed a hole then it let air in from that point.
I have a whole V6 24 if its any help it will probably (I'm after £200) cost you less than the parts and would mean you have a spaire engine should you even need one.
Andy
David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

Activa,
Does your XM run? Is it road worthy? I will talk it over with my father and see if he's interested in it. I am, but its his wallet!!
Regards
David.
David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

Sorry, I meant to ask you where you are Activa? Also could you tell me a bit more about you XM. Year, Mileage, Colour, etc etc. Is it the original engine? because they had a lot of trouble with the original 24v.
Regards
David.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

wired are crossed alittle here, ive got a 60 degree 24v out of a 406, all i have is the loom, ecu, engine box and pipework I'm in redditch worcestershire if its any use to you (not sure what enigne they use in the Xm wether its the old 90 degree engine or the current 60 degree engine like this one).
Andy
David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

Andy,
Sorry, missunderstood your first post! i am not sure what engine is in the XM. is the one you have the 200bhp version from the 406? I am in Glasgow, so it's probally a little far away. Would you consider delivery to Glasgow via Palletline? (If i covered the cost). Will mention it to my father and see what he wants to do.
Thanks again.
Regards
David.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

I've used palet line befor, that wont be a problem if you coverd the cost (not looking forward t moving that engine again its huge)! it is the 200bhp engine from the 406, i bought it for £550 (that was very very cheep) but then bought a V6 xantia so i didnt need it for my V6 activa project any more.
Andy
David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

my dad used to run a xantia ACTIVA. We had an awful lot of bother off the bloody thing. I will mention the engine to my dad when he gets in from work tonight.
Regards
David.
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

no problems,
Andy
David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

Andy,
I have been speaking with my Father, and he has told me that the engine in the XM that we have is a 60 degree V, not a 90. Unfortunately he doesn't want to change it over.
Thanks again for the offer.
Regards
David.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

David - are you sure you've got that the right way round?
The 90 degree engine is the remnants of the PRV V engine project of the 70's when the combined might of these companies produced this thing that was really only good at drinking fuel. Its principal problem is that you build 90 degree V8's and 60 degree V6's not 90 degree V6's as the balance is wrong as Ford eventually realised with their British series of V6's (Essex?) (German ones were 60 degree)
The PRV project was probably intended to be 3/4 of a V8 - hence the 90 degrees. By the mid 80's human ingeuity got to work and Renault introduced a wonderful crank with offset big ends for each throw (15degrees each way) so in effect fooling the thing into thinking it was a 60 degree engine! and it revved much smoother after that. I don't know if that crank was adopted on the later ones but they did seem to get more powerful.
The 60 degree engine is as far as I know an entirely new engine. (well new late 90's)
jeremy
ActivaV6uk

Past cars
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Yeah the 60 degree to my knowlage arived in 1997 (late) so only the last XM's have them. Again this engine was a PSA/Renault colaberation. unfortuantly doing any work on one of these engines means taking the engine out - try changing the spark plugs, you have you undo the gearbox and upper engine mounts and rock the engine forward to get to them, and you have to tale the radiator out to get enough room to even do that!
Any way its a prety valuble engine if any one needs it give me a shout, i'd rater it went to a good home to keep a cit on the road than into a boy racers 306.
Andy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Making service parts inaccessable is something that may well backfire on manufacturers with the current marketing tool used by Rover and some others of offering 2 years free servicing. I can see some restricting it to certain models!
Of course the change occured at the end of the XM's life when no doubt development money was short and it may be that other cars with the same engine have better access.
What has always surprised me is the handicap of the French tax threshold at around 2.8 litres. I can see that a 3.5 litre XM would have sold better when compared to its natural rivals - BMW etc than a 2.8. i know they could not have sold it at home but they wouldn't be the first to make export specials.
jeremy
David Hallworth1
Locked user account
My Cars:

I may well be wrong, but i thought someone told me that it was a 60 degree V in it. Might well be a ninety. It doesn't say in my book. I know mine's on it's second engine as the first one dropped its valves! It was replaced in France by Citroen.
Regards
David.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ask around for any former '70/'80-es Volvo 260 owners.
They KNOW aboy PRV 90deg V6 problems [:(]